Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are there 2 horns on a 9k (92 CS) as mine sounds a bit camp shall we say. I found the one behind the grille ok but didn't have a willing assistant to push the button while i covered it up...
I'm sure it must have one of 2 working at the moment but please help me.

·
Registered
300 Posts
JayB, you can unplug the working horn whilst looking for the other. There is a high and a low tone horn. It's marked on the horn. sometimes you can fix the horn, some have a screw to tune the note a little if the horn isn't working. The leads are just power so you can try the noop horn on the other power cable.

(to release the connector it's the usual push together and hold there, then squeeze the sides, then pull apart. repeat if it won't release )

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Found out last night that the one behind the grille doesn't work. When i connected a multi-meter, the wires show as being a circuit all the time... Maybe this is right so i'm going to find a replacement and try it anyway. The other one - you can't get near from ther ground is thankfully ok!

·
Registered
300 Posts
Hi JayB,

congratualtions on not having to work with the the one that's hard to get to!

As to the Multimeter, the horn is driven by an electromagnet so having a complete circuit is actually correct .

Some type of the horn are screwed together and you can open them up. Sometimes you find rust or foreign objects that are stopping operation. A little cleaning sometimes fixes things.

Another thing, not on all of the horns, is the adjustment screw. It moves the vibrating plate closer or farther from the electromagnet. Too far away and the magnet won't grab it, too close and it won't vibrate. If one is present you might try that too.

best of luck!

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
so n e way> Cheers, i thought that would be right. So the good thing is I won't have to mess about with the wiring!
It looked like the adjuster screw was kind of sealed over. I'll get another one instead of mess about.

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
Just a thought: one some cars, VW for example, the horns are switched on the earth side, so have a constant 12V supply. I've no idea why this is, or whether Saabs are the same, but if you have 12V and the horn works when connected across the battery, then you may well have non functioning earth switching.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.