Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if the horn is grounded through the attaching bolt or through one of the wires? It's a Fiamm AM-80, and I'm guessing the original one. It's stopped working and I'm wondering if I can troubleshoot it before getting another. We're still in winter here -- although it is improving -- so the time available to work in an unheated garage has to be put to good use!
Also, does anyone know where the other horn is? I can hear it but it must be somewhere under the washer fluid tank.
TIA.
Rod.

·
Registered
11,343 Posts
The FIAMM horns fitted to Saabs from model Saab 99 onwards are grounded through the bolt. I have found that a non-working horn can sometimes be resurected by removing it, cleaning it up and cleaning the +ve terminal and the mount that bolts to the engine bay. They get quite rusty, sometimes, down there.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
I'm pretty sure that the horn is a 2-wire job, one for supply and one for ground. There is a relay operated by the horn push that supplies the power.
My '96 has 2 Fiamms behind the grille but previous cars had one horn behind the grille and the other under the nearside wing behind the front liner - not easily got at

·
Registered
11,343 Posts
In which case I stand corrected. Derek has superior knowledge than I on 9000s. I did make a bit of an assumption on the 9000s having only been familiar with 99 and classic 900.

Go with Derek's advice.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Had a look at schematics, they do not show second wire for ground, so have to assume earthed through bracket, best bet is to have a look, my 94 has both horns behind the front grile,should have read earlier as I had the front grile off only 1hr ago looking for intercooler.

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
If the schematics you looked at were Haynes, I'd trust them about as far as I could throw a short engine block.

The parts catalog for a 94 clearly shows a 2 wire connector to the horn, and my 93 has it too (2 horns actually, one in front of the radiator and the other at the bottom near the OS fog lamp)

·
Registered
765 Posts
I stand corrected, being a sparky to trade i tend to trust drawings, but these are drawings for expensive german machines that put labels and spirit into bottles of vodka,gin,whisky...
Which reminds me, where is that stella whilst the footie is on ???

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hi Guys n Gals, in case there are any here...
I'm new to the forum!
On the subject of the 'Horn'...

I have a 9000 CD '89. The horn has decided to stop working...Having read through this discussion, I'm not sure I have found the answer.

Can anyone enlighten me as to where to begin looking for the problem?

Thanks, in advance.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Might be the relay,situated behind the glove box,got to remove the glovebox and remove the two screws and drop the fuse panel,mine wasn't working,traced to relay hanging out,pushed back in and hey presto!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts