Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

Hol(l)iday hell...........

Tags
hell holliday
2K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  redrocket 
#1 ·
A journey to the inlaws in Northern Ireland.Ferry from Stranraer.

Should have left at 6am this morning.Alarm didnt go off.Woke up at 6, left at 6.50.Stress number 1.
Pushing the Carly quite hard.....stress number 1 no more
!!
But,...pulling out to overtake a lorry, 3rd gear, slightly damp road, massive wheelspin(dear old carly has performed well recently!!
)...
5mins later, I sound like a tractor. A very old tractor. Pull in, as I thought the flexi hose has cracked. A new downpipe needed. The overrun noise was lovely (burbles and pops....richard burns here i come.....)I realise I should have stopped and towed the car away,but had to make the ferry, so continued. Not big,not clever, just hope I havent damaged anything by driving like this. (but the pops and splutters on overrun make up for any damage!!)
Now, I need a new downpipe.
Which one?
I fancy getting a cat bypass pipe while Im at it.
So a performance downpipe, and through pipe, this will be a different size to the back end of the exhaust?Can i do this,or do i need a new full system?Will a jt3inch downpipe and bypass fit onto the standard exhaust from cat back?
Options?
Cheers

See less See more
#4 ·
Looking at euro, they have 2 hydraulic mounts.Both by CORTECO, both 52 pounds.
Front engine mounting RH
rear engine mounting LH
Silly question but where?I seen one on the bottom of the engine, a saucer sized mounting, when changing oil......the other?

Easy to change? What would a local mechanic charge? At the inlaws, no tools....

#6 ·
The rear mount is directly below the false bulkhead below the alternator and has to be worked on from below....I would think any garage would be able to swap them easily on ramps. Just for your info I have a spare downpipe on my scrap car (9000 2.3T CS) at home....you are more than welcome to it but it needs removin...theres always a catch! I have a full system off my current car (9000 2.3T CD) down in Dublin lying in the garage if thats any help...can drive up to meet you if required...down pipes on CD's are similar to CS's I think..

#8 ·
I'm in Dublin at present and have a full system off my CD car here (Dublin)...at home in Bothel I have a full system on a CS which is still on the car. I was thinking on a temp fix to tide you over until you upgrade as Speedparts might not have what you want off the shelf.
I'm leaving work now but if you can use the down pipe I have here in Dublin, which is off a CD then I'll meet you at the border if you want, say tomorrow night....thats if you are still in NI !!

#10 ·
Mark, thanks again for the offer- private message explains.

The car is currently in the exhaust shop having a new flexi pipe fitted. It is a 2 1/2" new flexi hose, but outside the flex is an interwovan steel curtain which sustains more movement.Hopefully.Anyway it cost 40 pounds, which I know is the price of a standard downpipe,but nobody had stock in NI. And it should last longer.The downpipe itself is in perfect condition otherwise. Then once back home will fix the engine mounts, and run until the downpipe goes. Then its a jt 3" for me.
Size IS everything..............

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.