Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Auto went into the garage today to have its oil level seal replaced. It was going to be done at the same time as its oil change the other week but for various reasons it wasn't. So they changed that, replaced the seals on the Oil Cooler, and didn't charge me for any oil ( ).

So I leave the garage and notice that something has changed... there always used to be a little bit of whine just before the auto box did the 1-2 change. Its now gone... .and I cannot work out why changing what they did should have fixed this. Is it just co-incidence? They did leave it sitting there for about 30 minutes in park with the engine running so could that have done it?

Steve

·
Registered
368 Posts
hi
sounds like the seals on the oil cooler pipes on the rad from the auto box .mine leak too and as 4 that wineing from the box in 1& 2 i get that too. ive had three 9000 autos all have that slight wine ? .ive since changed the auto box oil and filter and now its very slight must be a saab thing

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I assume they mean the engine oil cooler seals (didn't even know the 2.3T had an oil cooler for the engine) - but the invoice doesn't indicate which seals. Also I would have thought that if they had done the auto oil cooler seals that they would have charged me for some AF fluid.

Still there are no leaks at all now

I will go and crawl under the car later and see if I can work out which seals they have replaced - I've got to go and work on it anyway as the damned rear wash pipe keeps falling off the one way valve in the wing

Steve

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
The engine oil cooler is a small radiator-like device to the right of the main radiator, near the offside headlight. It has two fat rubbery hoses attached to it.

The transmission oil cooler is built into the cool (offside) radiator tank. You will see two metal pipes screwed onto fittings in the tank.

Both these can be easily seen just by lifting the bonnet.

There is an autobox additive called Lubegard which is the subject of a Saab service bulletin and is used to cure a noise on the 2-3 upshift. Perhaps it has other benefits.

The Saab bulletin (Parts & Service Information) is: Category: transmission, Section: 4, Page: 14, Issue: 06/93-0352, Code 442. It states "Some complaints have been received from owners of 9000 cars equiped with the ZF 4HP18 automatic transmission of a noise that occurs at the 2 - 3 upshift point. The noise may be described as a "squawk" or "moan" that usually occurs under light throttle pressure. A transmission fluid additive has been tested and approved for use as a service solution to address these complaints." etc etc etc

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just checked and its the seals on the ends of the flexi hoses from the engine oil rad that they have changed.

There is still a bit of oil on the bottom of the engine... I guess it needs a good clean.

Steve

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.