Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello

Jus a techy question about the 9000's intercooler.

Its VERY big, but is also VERY thin and has plastic end caps (!), so was wondering-

1)- What is the maximum boost pressure the intercooler can handle before the end caps pop off?

2)- Is there any way of keeping them on better?

3)- Is the intercooler any good in general?(as its v thin, and big doesnt always mean efficient)?

(Obviouly id need uprated fueling, engine internals, turbo, drivetrain etc when the boost is much higher, i was JUST wonderig about the std intercooler for now)

Thanks loads in advance,

Steve

·
Registered
260 Posts
I would have thought the key factor with an intercooler is the surface area, not the depth? More surface area= more heat dissipation? Smaller or deeper wouldn't be so efficient surely?
I've never heard of anyone blowing the ends off yet, but if you think it's possible, why not place stainless steel bands around the whole thing? We have a machine at work for doing it, its used for fixing large bore agricultural hoses on. Most Ag-mech suppliers will have one.
It's called 'Band-It'.

Pete.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Abbott (or is it Trent Saab?) in the UK do a replacement intercooler for enhanced performance. The upgrade unit has improved airflow through it, hence improving maximum air airflow under boost conditions.

But their are plenty of other mods one can do first which will improve perfomance for less money.

Never heard of anyone blowing off an intercooler end cap yet though. Interesting concept. Full Pressure Turbos (FPT) have been tuned to boost at 1 bar and higher, without any intercooler problem. Of course, the pressure is greater where the restriction is greatest, which won't be the intercooler.

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
remember std Aero's run 1.1 bar boost as normal, and Saab almost certainly enginerneered in some safety factor.

Andrew
Who hasn't boosted beyond 21 PSI in mine yet as the wastegate stuck shut, and the overboost switch cut in then.

Headgasket went before intercooler..........
PS, it was #700 for an new turbo exhuast casting in labour

·
Registered
183 Posts
Hairy,

Get yourself an aftermarket boost guage to do the job accurately. Fitting one will also answer your first question. You can buy guages from Blitz & HKS in various diameters most commonly 43mm, 46mm, 52mm 60mm. They're easy to fit & cost about £70. If you're intending to mod your Turbo then this really SHOULD be your first upgrade.

Don't know what the maximum safe boost is for a 2.3 9000 but I'm sure that someone on this list could answer the question. Anyone????

If not, e-mail: [email protected] with your query. You usually get a response in a couple of days. Make sure you give them as much info about your car as possible so as to avoid a delay in turning around another send/receive of e-mails.

Good luck.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.