Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cheers Bill....Yep they are every bit as expensive,it's quite obvious that when you want power they all make you pay for it!!.
Now I may be wrong but is not just couple tweeks from something like a PC to get a ECU upgraded or am I talking rubbish.

Stu

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
Now I may be wrong but is not just couple tweeks from something like a PC to get a ECU upgraded or am I talking rubbish.[/b]
Don't forget the development costs for those couple of tweaks and the fact in Hirsch's case they have a lot of hoops to go through in terms of testing &c to be the official performance partners.

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
The actual upgrade requires not much more equipment than a PC and some software (for '94-on Trionic upgrades, anyway). However, it's not just a couple of tweaks but a complete remap of the system and as SteveN says, there is an enormous amount of development behind a well-engineered upgrade. This is especially true of the T7 and T8 systems, which are much more complicated and more difficult to understand and modify successfully.

A good analogy is Microsoft Office (or any other piece of commercial software). It probably costs substantially less than £1 to press a Microsoft Office CD. Why do you pay a lot more? Setting aside any arguments about Microsoft raking in the millions, it must be quite apparent that it costs them a lot more than £1 million to produce 1 million copies of Microsoft Office, given the huge amount of development (and marketing, distribution, etc.) involved.

And on top of all that, they need to make a profit or they might as well not bother.

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
Originally posted by Dave_NI:
[qb]I am (eventually) gonna do it the hard way, but the parts and get help installing them.[/qb][/b]
An ECU is pretty easy to replace. If yours is an LPT (can't remember), then a BPC valve isn't too hard to add. Depending on how big an upgrade you're doing - an uprated exhaust can be a job to fit, as can an intercooler if you don't already have one. I'd say go for it. There are plenty of people here who can help.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.