Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi to all!

I've had my 9000 since last August and I want to give it some more get-up and go. I was considering making my own intake like the one that Speedparts makes that is just a short length of pipe with a cone filter on it. Looking at the intake though I noticed all of the accordion pipe between the air filter and the turbo and figured I could replace all of that with a nice smooth pipe with some nipples on it to attach the various sensors/AMM. Does anyone know if this has been tried before and if so are there any pictures around? I looked at performance parts places, but they didn't have anything. This upgrade would be fairly cheap and should make the air flow nice and smoothly. Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
16,524 Posts
Welcome to saabscene!!

The accordion pipe is needed because the turbo is attached to the engine and the original air filter is attached to the body. If you make it all solid you will need to allow a lot of space for the filter etc to move with the engine. And also brace the whole arrangement as it will be cantilevered off the turbo.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I don't think you'd really need the accordian if you have "joints" with silicone hose connectors between sections of pipe.
At the very least there would be a connector at the turbo. I'm sure you could have one in the middle and then have the filter pipe attach to the stock airbox mounting points.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts