Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HELP!!!! As of yesterday my car has begun idling at aprox. 2,000 rpms. Has anyone ever had this problem? My Mechanic has replaced the air mass meter and thinks it could be the computer, He then suggested I throw the question out to you guys! Any one have a clue?

Thanks a million in advance!
Jon

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Try cleaning the Idle Control Valve, a silver cylinder that is connected around the throttle butterfly by a couple of thick rubber hoses (1 inch dia. or so). It should be free to move inside, but usually gums up with the sticky deposits of oil etc. A carb cleaner should do the trick.
HTH.
Nick.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
andrastauk,

That was what my mechanic was leading to but before i put out the money for a new one he told me to see what you guys think... But now i have an even larger problem... I no longer have a first or second gear... its taken over by 3rd and 4th... and i can also use reverse, but thats it.

Jon

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
It is likely that your gearshift coupler has broken. It's a very common failure and isn't expensive. The coupler is a piece of rubber sandwiched between two metal plates, and the rubber separates after a while. Have an assistant move the gear lever side-to-side as far as it will go while you look down on top of the gearbox. You should see the coupler - it will be moving. Chances are that you can see the rubber separating as it moves.

A new one is not expensive from a dealer or an independent parts supplier.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
BillJ,
I figured thats what it was, my mechanic threw the car up on the lift and had it replaced in about 10 minutes. now my main problem is the clutch needs to be replaced

Later,
Jon

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
Sorry. Can't tell you that's a 10-minute job!
Well, I could, but would you believe me?

However, if your mechanic has a lift, even that's not the end of the world, as it is much quicker to remove the gearbox from below (from above, the engine has to come out too). If you feel like putting a few quid extra into it, I'd thoroughly recommend having the slave cylinder replaced. It might never fail, but if it does, the gearbox has to come out again. And they do fail.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
BillJ,
That coupler is external to the gear box so if you look strait up when under the rear of the engine you can see it... it probably did take more than 10 minutes but my exaggeration kicked in.

Jon

1 - 9 of 9 Posts