Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ONE 89 9000 SE TURBO (cat)CAN ANY ONE HELP.I PUT IN FOR AN MOT AND GOT 6.67%CO THERE IS NO ADJUSTMENT ON THE AIR FLOW METER NO BROKEN VAC HOSES I HAVE TRYED DIFFRENT IDLE CONTROL VALVES,AIR FLOW METER,EVEN AN ECU.IM PULLING MY HAIR OUT AT THIS STAGE

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
Was a lambda test done, since it has a cat, or was the cat test not performed because the car was registered before August '92? If the lambda test showed low lambda, you have a rich mixture and can suspect the air mass meter, lambda probe or fuel pressure regulator.

However, when my Aero failed last year for high lambda (weak mixture, which turned out to be due to a Trionic sensor), the CO was high but within limits. One of the things I tried for the re-test was injector cleaner. This didn't make any difference to the lambda (it just touched the limit briefly so passed - I fixed the sensor later) but the CO went down to almost zero.

Worth a try, as dirty injectors will give a poor spray pattern which will affect running and emissions at idle (the engine doesn't seem to give a **** about injector spray pattern under high load - "just gimme loadsa fuel any way it comes").

Is your car an '87 or '89, or do you have one of each? (You mention an '87 SE in your post about boost pressure).

And welcome to SaabScene, of course.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Have you checked all vac hoses and inlet hoses. I've just been through this with a 900 I got recently and after careful study I found 6 hoses off. Some of which were in place but not sealed properly. The CO on the car was 4.5% and is now 1.5%, so worth checking again. If you have tried the main electric components I'd be surprised if it is anything else. Air leaks may not seem to affect the engines running as the ECU will try to compensate.

HTH

Neil

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
THANK'S FOR THE WELCOME BILLJ.
THE CAR WAS REGISTERED BEFORE AUGUST(G REG)AND SO NO CAT TEST WAS PERFORMED.HOWEVER THE TEST DID SHOW A LAMBER READING WICH WOS LOW.GOOD IDEAR TO TRY FUEL TREATMENT I WILL GIVE IT A GO.
THE 87 SE IS MY RUN A ROUND.THE 89SE IS ONE I SOLD TO A FRIEND.I ALSO SOLD A 87 SE TO ANOTHER FRIEND.BOTH IN A RIBEANER COLOUR IVE NOT SEEN BEFORE.IM STARTING TO LOOK AFTER A FEW NOW SO SAAB SCENE WILL BE VERY USEFULL.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.