Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just tried to fill up the windshield fluid in my 9000s. However, all of the fluid poured right down to the ground. When I pulled back the little black rubber cover, I discovered only a white plastic cup looking thing about the size of a 1/4 cup. The lid to this device did say "washer fluid". Do I have the right location for this? or is there some other secret compartment? I have recently acquired this vehicle, so perhaps previous owner removed the bottle . Can someone advise?
Thank you

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Mike, but maybe I am at the wrong site because I don't know what the rad is? I honestly am a neophyte with this stuff. Should I take it that the bottle is gone? And would it too difficult for a neophyte to replace?

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
on the righthand side at the front there should be a large white bottle/tank that is just behind a box (6"x6")with a clear lid on it this is the water bottle , it might have a crack in it as it has been known to happen with them hense the water pouring out, if it has you can repair the crack with areldite or duck tape whatever comes to hand.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Originally posted by microcat36:
[qb]on the righthand side at the front there should be a large white bottle/tank that is just behind a box (6"x6")with a clear lid on it this is the water bottle , it might have a crack in it as it has been known to happen with them hense the water pouring out, if it has you can repair the crack with areldite or duck tape whatever comes to hand.  
 [/qb][/b]
I knew that I wasn't coo coo . My bottle must have been removed by previous owner. Unless of course he hid it elsewhere But thank you for the confirmation

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
But if the bottle has been removed then the lid and the filter would be missing. So if you have a lid marked Washer then you surely must have the bottle. Is the washer bottle level warning showing on the dash?

Is the lid on the left or right hand side of the car as you look at it from the front? When it moved sides it also was moved into the wing space so all that is left is about 4 inches of pipe (which on both my cars has a joint with a gasket in it about 2 inches down)

I am often caught out by the washer bottle on both my 9000's as sometimes I think its going to need gallons to top it up and a pint or so has it spilling over the floor.

Steve

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Originally posted by StephenA:
[qb]But if the bottle has been removed then the lid and the filter would be missing. So if you have a lid marked Washer then you surely must have the bottle. Is the washer bottle level warning showing on the dash?

Is the lid on the left or right hand side of the car as you look at it from the front? When it moved sides it also was moved into the wing space so all that is left is about 4 inches of pipe (which on both my cars has a joint with a gasket in it about 2 inches down)

I am often caught out by the washer bottle on both my 9000's as sometimes I think its going to need gallons to top it up and a pint or so has it spilling over the floor.

Steve [/qb][/b]
Yes, it's true. I have a cap that says: "washer fluid" and a little black rubber dam that seems to hid this little cup looking thing. When you stand out in front of the car--all of this aooears to your left. But, it's strange, because when I started pouring the fluid into this little device, I seemned that every drop went straight to the ground. I have never got any lights on my dash telling me to refill the fluid. It was only when I tried to get some fluid to spray onto the window, I noticed that nothing came out. So, I figured it must be bone dry--beats me Now, where do you suppose the real opening into the bottle is located?

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
That is the filler cap for the bottle and the bottle is hidden in the wing. I wonder if the problem is not that the tank is empty (if its full then it does seem to flow round the sealing ring) but if the tank is full and either the pump(s) are not running or the non return values have gone.

If you try the washers can you hear a pump running at all? If you cant then it looks like the pump is dead. If you can is there any sign of water on the headlights?

Steve

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Originally posted by Neophyte:
[qb] QUOTE
[qb] But if the bottle has been removed then the lid and the filter would be missing. So if you have a lid marked Washer then you surely must have the bottle. Is the washer bottle level warning showing on the dash?

Steve [/qb][/b]
Yes, it's true. I have a cap that says: "washer fluid" and a little black rubber dam that seems to hid this little cup looking thing. When you stand out in front of the car--all of this aooears to your left. But, it's strange, because when I started pouring the fluid into this little device, I seemned that every drop went straight to the ground. I have never got any lights on my dash telling me to refill the fluid. It was only when I tried to get some fluid to spray onto the window, I noticed that nothing came out. So, I figured it must be bone dry--beats me Now, where do you suppose the real opening into the bottle is located? [/qb][/b][/quote]

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
[qb]That is the filler cap for the bottle and the bottle is hidden in the wing. I wonder if the problem is not that the tank is empty (if its full then it does seem to flow round the sealing ring) but if the tank is full and either the pump(s) are not running or the non return values have gone.  If you try the washers can you hear a pump running at all? If you cant then it looks like the pump is dead. If you can is there any sign of water on the headlights?
Steve [/qb][/b]
Steve, now you have me going . I acquired this car only last week, but you say that I should hear a sound of some sort when I try to get the fluid to squirt? And that it should also squirt onto the headlights? Wow, neat car--except it's driving me . . . Can you guide me alittle more with this? Thanks

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.