Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

Hi,new member seeking ICE advice

4K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  MarkM 
#1 ·
Hi fellow Saab freaks ( let's face it - we must be owning one of these Swedish oddities!)

I have a 9-5 Aero 2.3T HOT - box standard owned since 2008. Time for the standard Saab fitted double DIN CD/radio head unit upgrade. managed to get the old one out and want to change it to single DIN unit but there is no cage at all in the dash to do so - how have other members solved this? I know that you can but the facia's but what about getting the single DIN cage installed? Also, having tried out the Connects2 ISO adapter kit, only the rear speakers work and i cannot find the switched +12V feed in the existing head unit wiring loom. I bet this type of question has been asked so many times before so thanks for your patience and any advice you can give and where I can get the necessary bits to solve this conundrum would be greatly appreciated.

cheers, Mark

#3 · (Edited)
Re: Hi, new memeber seeking ICE advice

You need to buy a fascia plate (single din with tray above or below).
The single din head unit you buy should come with an outer single din cage and iso harness.
You should also be able to the cage at any local motor factors if it doesnt.
When I fitted mine I sinply pushed the cage through the top part of the fascia plate and then used the push out metal tabs to fix it in position.
From memory the +12v permanent and switched live need to be crossed over on the head unit
harness otherwise there is no memory retention.You then just need the appropriate adaptor to connect to the twin iso on the main saab harness.(pound or so on ebay)
A straight through iso is fine or if you want to keep steering wheel controls then you will need another adaptor from either connects2 or incartec and a patch lead for the head.(the incartec are much better imho)
Either of the above sites will walk you through the bits you need.

The above all changes if you have an amplified system (may be the case with the later 9-5) as you will need an amp bypass to get the speaker signals sorted.
The system is likley to be more or less the same as the 9-3's from 2007 onwards

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.