Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
first post so hi!

I just picked up my first Saab at the weekend

well chuffed with it and wish I had bought one ages ago!

Anyway would it be easy to fix these two problems:

1.Petrol Cap does not get locked when Car is locked.
2.Drivers heated seat does not work.

whats the damage to get these fixed and could I do it myself.

Thanks

Graham

·
Registered
763 Posts
welcome to the world of SAABERS!
You will hopefully have immense pleasure from the car, especially the 9000 CSE which is probably the best of the range!
Your problems - I presume you mean the fuel cap flap panel; the cap is not locked but the flap locks with a thin bolt going into the eye on the flap, check if this is OK. Seat heater switch may be faulty or check the fuse, is the passenger seat heater working?

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
Also remember that some year the flap did not lock so that you could lockl the car on the petrol station forecourt and then fuel up without some wink knicking alll or part of your car.

my 1991 has locking's, my 1993 does not (no solenoid...

Andrew

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Hi,
The heated seat pad is usually at fault, but not always. It can be tested for continuity by unplugging the connector underneath the seat and using a multimeter set to Ohms on the Black and Yellow wires (I think).You should get just a few Ohms if there's no problem, but most often the pad element will have broken and you will get no continuity. There are also (Blue)wires going up into the seat base to a thermistor in the seat back which senses the temperature and allows the control unit (switching unit in the dash) to turn the heating pad on and off at the correct times to keep a set temperature. The thermistor should be around 1400 Ohms if my memory serves me, it's a negative co-efficient type that decreases resistance as the temp' increases.
If the pad is OK, try swapping the control units across and see if the drivers seat springs into life. A mate had a unit go on him once.

If you do need to replace the pad, it takes around an hour and requires the removal of the seat. This is held down by four T50 torx bolts. Then the seat belt can come off (after removing the side cover - more torx bolts of various sizes). This allows the cover of the seat to be removed, quite an easy job as long as you have some long nose pliers or similar to pull down on the clips that secure the cover in the middle of the seat base, the're sprung quite tightly. A new pad can be stuck over the old one, they come from Saab with a self adhesive backing, and the wiring routed as per the original.
HTH

Nick.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.