Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Looks like a bunch-o-fun! If you have any more pictures of the engine block, and cyllinder head feel free to post them in this thread so we can see if there are any noticable differences between it and the B234R block that ylee posted pics of.

BTW you may wish to consider a turbo upgrade at this point. Gas flowing the head and installing a larger intercooler increased the volumetric efficiency of your engine.

I trust Heuschmids to tune the ECU to within the right part of the efficiency map, but what I mean is that you will now have a great deal to gain simply by putting a slightly larger compressor wheel on, and tuning the ECU for it.

Looks very clean and very pretty.

Dubbya~

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
Nice work, Phillip!

I can tell you that you will really like the difference that the I/C and head work will make to the top end- it really opens up the engine above 4500rpm

·
Registered
563 Posts
Anymore hardware modifcations in the pipeline?
Looking at the pictures, I noticed the stock turbo intakepipe. Most tuners replace it with a bigger pipe at the powerlevels you're aiming at.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi,

thanks for your many comments.

My custom ECU will probably be programmed by Hirsch - Rene Hirsch made a very good offer. This is nothing against MapTun - I still doubt Hirsch will match their gearbox- and clutch-crunching low end torque which I - I have to admit - did quite like

I had a very long phone conversation with Rene Hirsch. He advised me against upgrading the turbo, even to a 18T compressor, because this would add quite a lot of turbo lag. He thinks the TD04HL-15T as it is stock to the Viggen is the ideal turbocharger for the 9-3. Plus I don´t want to go much beyond 300hp because that would be too much for my chassis. Remember - it´s a 9-3 and a convertible.

The two extras which might be added are a larger intake pipe and an uprated fuel pressure regulator. Hirsch told me that with the large intake pipe, bottom end would get worse, so I should perhaps go for the MY00 on Viggen/Aero intake pipe, which is only slightly larger than my MY99 Viggen intake pipe, and much cheaper than their large one. The FPR will be installed if the software guru thinks this is necessary while fine-tuning the ECU.

Yours,

Philip

P.S. can´t wait for the engine to be run in properly. Driving only up to 4000 rpm is only half the fun

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
IMHO the 18T shouldn't be too bad. Don't want to start a big argument about it, but Mr Yankton made awesome power with one, and had 400+ lb ft of torque by 3,000 rpm. But the 15T is an awesome turbo.

Just wait until you see how little lag that car has with the bigger IC, gas flowed head, and new software when you get it. The factory software restricts boost climb. You may eventually want more boost lag.

I wasn't aware of any changes to the intake pipe!
How could it be smaller than mine?? Mine is tiiiny. I want a bigger one.

Dubbya~

1 - 9 of 9 Posts