Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright here we are again with me askin' for more help in my holy search of making my Saab a Speed demon. Aftermuch controversy(spelling??) with my body kit post I figure to lay off on that for a while and might try looking for something nice in the states. Maybe talk to the Saab dealership 5 mins from my house and order the Viggen front side and back kit's to fit my 96 S900... But for now the subject is Exhaust and Intake.. Need a site that in located anywhere in the US that has a cold air intake for my 96 S900 and an Exhaust system not just the tip. Thanks for anyhelp you's have. =)

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
As for the intake, you have two options. 1. Use the existing air box and make a larger intake snorkel for it. Then use a K&N filter in place of the stock filter. 2. Get the BSR Optiflow intake. If I remember correctly, it costs $165 plus shipping. It can be seen and ordered through Engstrom in Chicago. www.engstrom.net You can see it installed in my 1999 9-3 in the gallery on STTE or in the picture post in the Non-technical forum in the carpark under Pictures from Full Speed 2003 in NL.

For exhaust, there are a few options. 1. This for me was the best option. Stainless steel cat-back exhaust from Saab USA. There are many places to order it from if they have it. The Saab catalog still shows them and I believe a few other sites sell them. Price on Saab Catalog is $385 plus shipping without a tip. A good tip will add at least another $50. 2. I know engstrom sells a cat-back exhaust as well. Also check out Taliaferro Saab at www.genuinesaab.com They may have the Optiflow intake as well.

Good luck!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Seein' as your are on top of the game.. My Car isn't a Turbo. The Opti-Flow Air intake if of course for the NG900 and 9-3's yet it says for the NG900 Turbo.. mines N/A.. Is that going to cause some problems or will it fit in either way with not big problems?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Also the website you posted for Genuine saab isn't coming up. By any chance is the URL wrong or is it just this stupid pc that never works for anything? =)

·
Registered
312 Posts
Just as a quickie....the website link worked for me just fine. Maybe just try typing it into the address window and see if you have better luck.

Regards,

John

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Sorry about the bad info, I didn't realize your car was NA. I really don't know much about the NA cars, so I can't help you much.

Good luck!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's all good.. I thank you for your try though.. It seems that here certain people don't know much about puttin' things into a NA car.. Well, that's all I can afford right now so it's going to have to do.. Some how someway I am going to put some stuff into my god damn Saab. I mean some of you's are probably thinking why even bother puttin' anything into a NA Saab.. Well, since it's all I got might as well, play with it. I am not trying to become a pro racer just want some aftermarket parts for my car so I can drive down to the local back street to do alittle racing agaist some friends and maybe some stangers.. But if you's have any opinions, advice, suggestions.. Please help

·
Registered
16,524 Posts
I think you might consider the suspension mods and then try them out on the twisty bits rather than the straights. If you don't have to slow for corners you've got a good start on the next straight

And from reading here, the suspension mods help you get what power you have down on the road without so much wheelspin.

·
Registered
3,618 Posts
A headline point I want to make to you is that tuning a normally aspirated car by just throwing a few things on will not net big differences.. however.. since you fancy doing a few things to improve the performance of your car... here are a few hints.

Get the car to flow more air.
1). Purchase the speedparts open-air intake, (article number : XF-955) and make sure it's fitted in such a way as to only ingest cold air.. so you may have to extend the plumbing of the outside air intake in the fender/bumper. This will cost around 200 dollars and be worth around 2HP extra.

2). Fit a full sports exhaust (Speedparts, Abbott, Remus etc.. don't do a sports exhaust for the 2.3 NA.. so you'll have to find a custom exhaust place in the states that will make you one.. where you can chose how it will sound and look - they exist! - this will cost perhaps 600 to 800 dollars and give 5 to 7HP depending on if you lose the cat.

3). Have the head removed, gas flowed. enlarged valves fitted. and have sport cams fitted.. (don't know where you might get this done in the US.. Abbott do it here in Europe).. this will cost around 1500 to 2000 dollars and produce around 20 to 25 hp.

4) Replacing ecu to update mapping for all the breathing mods.. custom ecu chip tuning for the bosch set up..mostly any good chip tuner in the us - costs around 500 dollars.. produces around 10hp.

By this time you've spent around 3000 dollars and gained 38 horsepower extra.. which may slice a few tenths of a second off your 0 to 60 time..

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
I hate to say this because I am no longer a fan of TSN, however, there is a person there that can give you the best advice about a NA 900. His car is named Meatball. It is a 2.3 liter NA that produces over 270 hp! This is the guy you need to ask as he has done it.

I am not trying to steer you from us, as we welcome everybody here and will want to know your progress. Just go to TSN and do a search on the boards for Meatball. He should be able to steer you in the right direction.

Also note, that the advice you have already gotten here will make a quite good start.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Aiight perfect. Thanks... One this what is TSN? and the website that was given to me doesn't say muhc about his car or anything.. What is TSN so I can find him track him down and find out his secret. >=D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts