Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1990 classic 900 turbo convertible in excellent nick.

Engine is now showing 182k and although running well feel the time will soon be here to think about the future - I want to keep this car.

I want to upgrade performance as much as poss. What can I do. My mechanic said Abbbot will take the car, strip the engine and do stuff and make the car "race ready" with engine management systems and uprate peripherals such as exhaust, brakes etc. Cost about £5k.

Has anybody done this - would like to know what they think? Also any alternatives bearing in mind I know nothing about mechanics and do not have access to "a man that can".

·
Registered
547 Posts
I believe the general consensus is that Abbott are very good at what they do but that you pay an awful lot of money for their services. I've had my 9000 Aero Abbottised and I'm delighted with the results. As I am non-technical I like having the reassurance that my car has been worked on by experts.

There are cheaper ways to mod your car and I'm sure some of the other board memebers will be along to give some advice.

In the meantime look at the Abbott site: http://www.abbottracing.com.

·
Registered
11,343 Posts
Jane, Tandino probably has a few good ideas - he's done plenty on his C900 - and he is in Surrey, also.

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
The other firm that can do similar work for you would be Trent Saab, although I'm not sure if they can do the same extent of work as Abbott.

Personally, I don't think there is anyone in the UK to touch Abbott for the complete package, but you will pay the price for that. It's cerytainly possible to get similar upgrades and save money going down the DIY route, but there's no gaurantees.

If you like the car and intend to keep it for a while, and the bodywork is in good condition, then the money can represent a good investment as it wil be as good as, if not better, than having a complete mechanical replacement.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The Trent upgrades look great but the idea of this project is to replace the engine at the same time as the other upgrades. I have kept the turbo untweaked to date to save engine wear. I will contact Trent and see if they can replace/recon the engine in addition and will get an idea on cost for the whole project. the £5k is not too much of a problem if I get the entire car with outstanding acceleration and perfomance AND a decent engine. Got my name down for trackday next year so should be a fun day out !

·
Registered
661 Posts
Jt exhaust,
APC tweak - many different specs - do a search on the bb's for different views/specs,
Water injection,
Some form of air filter without the restrictive snorkel,
Some form of retard mod be it a lpt capsule or MSD boost timing master,
Depending on how far you want to go - bigger injectors - the stock bosch injectors will only run to around 220-230 bhp before leanness occurs,
Intercooler in a better location - front mounted preferably,

All of the above will give you around 250-260 bhp - enough for most people i think and correspondingly plenty of
in a C900,
Best get a gearbox rebuild with preferably the later 91 on gearset!!

Pete.

·
Registered
661 Posts
P.S why do you think your engine needs a rebuild???,
The cost of the above mods if your fairly handy or know someone who is would probably run to around £1000 in parts.
Im currently about to get a brake kit developed with 16" aero rims and a 308mm disc with Wilwood superlite calipers - should be interesting

Pete.

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
jane I did this on my 9000 when it got to 135k and I had decided on the investment route
they did the timing chains,rebuilt the gearbox,fitted a few poly bushes (the most important ones)upgraded the ecu fitted a lower final drive and a lsd plus attended to a few other problems (head off ,new di pack )
this came to 4k plus vat and well worth it for the peace of mind ..their rates are menu driven and I think very reasonable compared to main dealers .you can also pick and choose but with 180k
timing chains and gearbox bushes are a good idea..the menu prices will be different for a 900 btw

unfortunately in my case it left me wanting more and I have spent rather a lot since then...

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I had my C900 fitted with an Abbott Racing Chargecooler soon after I bought it. Significant increase in
and, like everyone else, it made me start thinking about uprating the suspension, more engine tweaking etc ... but I'll be selling the car shortly so have decided against.

I'd thoroughly recommend Abbott, and I liked the 'hands-on' approach that they encourage their customers to take. MarkA had a complete engine rebuild on his 9000 which sounds similar to what you're contemplating, so worth seeking out his views.

Cheers

James

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You guys must all be psychic

Out cruising at the weekend when I suddenly lose first gear, closely following by all the others. Yes a knackered gearbox. Trusty mechanic Paul confirms yesterday and so all your advice about gearbox improvements will come to fruition earlier than expected. £650 for a replacement by excellent Saab mechanic Alan from DCA in Reading. Trent or Abbott? Difficult decision, will chat to Giles and Trent when ready to spend the money. See who can give me the fastest classic 900 on the planet.

Thanks for all your advice. Will certainly let you know what I decide to do and may finish off with a complete respray before I head to the bankruptcy court !!!!!

·
Registered
661 Posts
Jane Hockley wrote :-
See who can give me the fastest classic 900 on the planet.  [/b]
Abbott will try - for a price
Ill look forward to seeing your convertible soon then Jane - in my rear view mirror

Pete.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ill look forward to seeing your convertible soon then Jane - in my rear view mirror  [/b]
That was one very dangerous comment
Perhaps a race would be in order once I am "Abotised" or "Trented" - although I reserve the right to nominate another driver cos I'm basically a coward

Any pics of your car available ?? Have got your list of upgrades for future reference.

·
Registered
11,343 Posts
Originally posted by Jane H:
[qb]That was one very dangerous comment    :eek:    Perhaps a race would be in order once I am "Abotised" or "Trented" - although I reserve the right to nominate another driver cos I'm basically a coward        

Any pics of your car available ??  Have got your list of upgrades for future reference. [/qb][/b]
Then you two should come along to the next Saabscene Trackday

·
Registered
661 Posts
You should have come along to the SOC Surrey/Sussex meet Jane - you could have had a spin in the T16 yourself
Here's a pic (from a Southern Saabscene meet earlier this year):-
Mods to come in the very near future are :-
TD-04 turbo which is sitting in my hallway - hope to get this fitted in the next month or so with the 3" downpipe,
Wilwood 4 pot calipers (paid £50 for the pair - nearly new ) to go with 308mm discs behind my 16" aero's - hopefully should get these on by the end of the year funds permitting

Pete.

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
Originally posted by tandino(266bhp T16S):
[qb]You should have come along to the SOC Surrey/Sussex meet Jane - you could have had a spin in the T16 yourself    :fawlty:  [/qb][/b]
I did, and was very impressed. I think you'd have been too.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I was down to come but unfortunately car off the road with seized gearbox (which turned out to be clutch plate)and I had to wait a week for my mechanic to find the time to repair. However she is back on the road now and I already have my name down for the track day. Will look out for the next meet and whizz down to see you all.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts