Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Info needed folks.
I need to purchase a wastegate actuator for my 1993, 2.0litre 9000CSE LPT( Light Pressure Turbo)
I've posted the unit itself to Turbo Technics but they need numbers from the turbo unit to identify what I need. I can't for the life of me find any numbers on the thing( it's still on the car)
Does anyone know which exact Garrett turbo is on the car and it's(Garret) part number?
Turbo Technics have identified which spring rate I need but can't get the rod length as the end of mine is missing having rusted off. Any one know how long the rod is and what the end of it looks like. How is it attached to the wastegate?
This bit has also fallen off.
I'm embarrased to say this happened before Xmas and I'm still not back to turbo power but getting increasingly fed up with being overtaken by Volvos!

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
On my '96 LPT, the number is on an aluminium plate riveted to the turbo with a single rivet. I had to take it off to read the numbers. When given a bit of a wipe, the plate is shiny with a red logo printed on it and with the number stamped into it. I think it was fixed to the bearing side of the compressor housing, near the top.

The reason I took it off was to order a wastegate actuator, but I haven't got one yet. Did TT quote you a price? I'll be in the market for one shortly if I can find that little plate again.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bill,
I've looked at mine. I think there was a plate there once but it is now rusted beyond hope. Turbo Technics are quoting £40-80max, likely about £50. This compares favourably with SAAB WESTCARS £187+vat!
I sent them the old unit and they were able to test it to get the correct spring rate and body type. I've since phoned them with my estimate of the rod length needed which is 132mm with the wastegate in the closed position. ( Measured using a headtorch, tape measure and mirror whilst being eaten by midges with the back of my knees screaming in pain , Lovely)
Good luck with yours,
wul

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
Originally posted by Mark E:
[qb]I'm 95% certain that what you need is a T2 actuator. You'll need to measure the shaft length though. [/qb][/b]
I'm quite certain it's a T2 actuator, but I believe that the spring rate varies as well as the shaft length.

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
In theory I need a new one on the Scaero as the current one has rusted solid and in completely non adjustable now...

I've packed with washers, but if a JT 3"er were to arrive, I'd need longer bolts!!!

I'll see to that when I happens though.

Andrew

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the information. THe chap at Turbo Technics said he was almost certain the torbo would be a Garrett T25.
It seems you need to put some pre-load on the wastegate as well which I didn't realise. I assume this is done by shortening the rod a bit using some kind of turnbuckle arrangement to keep the thing closed until a specified boost is reached. Problem is no guage on the LPT. Does it have any other failsafe I wonder which will prevent me dialing in lethal amounts of boost?
Hmmmm

Wulbert

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
Originally posted by wulbert:
[qb]THe chap at Turbo Technics said he was almost certain the torbo would be a Garrett T25.[/qb][/b]
It is. I assumed you were looking for something rather more exact than that, sorry.

You could just do it by trial and error to keep the boost just below where the cutoff is. However, a cheap boost gauge will help take the uncertainty out of it. You don't have to install the gauge permanently.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I like the sound of a cheap boost guage, Bill.In general the more guages and buttons the better in my view.
Where can I get such a thing? Halfords?
I suppose Turbo techs might do one

Incidentally , when I was on to WESTCARS the said they now do part exchange turbo units which would keep the cost down.( from ;don't- ask- you -cant- afford-it to merely "Jesus,you're kidding")

wul

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
PS : Finally paid for the wastegate actuator
( SAAB call it the "pressure relief valve") from Turbo Technics. Cost £106.18.inc delivery 48hrs. More than I expected but they did essentially build it to spec from their parts. For Info: Rod length 132mm, eye diameter 7mm, sorry don't know lift or spring rate.

Wul

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.