Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys/Girls

Basically the large long rubber pipe going from the top of the radiator to the back of the engine block has developed a pinhole leak
I've looked at this, and the leak seems to be quite close to the clip holding the pipe in on the block side, I've noticed that there should be suffient play for me to actually take off he pipe and cut the pipe down where the pinhole is and re-attatch the pipe back on.
My question is-

Because I would have to take the pipe off to cut and re-attatch the water would be replaced by air, so when I put the pipe back on, there would be an air pocket in the pipe?
Is there anyway of bleeding this air pocket off or
do I leave the expansion tank lid open when I start the engine until the air pressure backs back into the expansion tank.
Or do I just leave it, and it should correct itself.
Could I have some tips please!

Thanks in advance

Tony

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Whether you shorten the existing pipe or buy a new one. Simply top up the coolant reservoir after you have done it. Start the engine run for a few minutes and top up if necessary. The 9000 is self bleeding and I've never had any problems with air locks.

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
I agree
I have had my fair share of hose failure probs but never any problems with air locks

good luck

ps I would put a new one on soonest as all the rubber is failing and the rest of the hose will be suspect ..
and have a good look at the other main hoses too

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
I very much doubt there will be enough slack to cut it back and re-attach, you're better off getting a new one.

Obviously there will be some coolant loss. To minimise this, disconnect the radiator end first, and have the new pipe ready to pop on the block as soon as you pull the other one off. Leave the expansion tank cap on, and you shouldn't lose any more than a litre or so of coolant.

The system is self bleeding- that's what the small tube going from the top of the rad to the expansion tank is for.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks all,

Not my day today, with wrong posts and replies!
Not much better at work!

I Thought of cutting the pipe, as a temp measure only, its only that i'm at work all day, and would not be able to get a new part by the time I finished this evening. plus the fact that I needed to go to London early tommorrow morning.

I apologise for the lack of knowledge, but the last time I did something like this, cars had the expansion tank, but you had to bleed off airlocks from the rad, but obciously times have changed and rads are now self bleeding!

Thats the problem when you usually pay some one to do all these things!
Budget now tighter with divorce you see guys, might even have to loose my evo to the ex in the settlement, she 'took me to the cleaners' so to speak. House going as well! oh Po.#

Anyway thanks All for your comments

Tony

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Sorry to hear about you current position.

As a tempory measure you could buy a hose repair bandage from somewhere like Halfords. When my top hose was leaking, I bought one and it worked a treat.

The only downside is burning your hands, because you have to apply it while the hose is hot, and wrapping it tight, means you get hot too!

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks to all for their input.

I managed to buy a replacement top pipe from euro car parts on friday, to replace my split pipe.

That evening, I had a look at the new pipe and the old one, and it seemed to me that the new one was slightly smaller in diameter, so I decided to try first by cutting down my old one and refit back on.
I had no problems with this, as there was adequate length on my old top pipe for me to trim down. I refitted the old one back on and refilled the coolant.
Hey presto! had no probs, and it now looks better with the pipe having less of a bend, looking like it has a better flow.
was down in London, with the now girlfriend and had no overheating problems at all, especially with the car computer temp reading 49 C !WoW

Car temp gauge did not read higher than 3/4's
during the whole day in traffic jams!

Tony

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.