Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
first things first - I really appreciate feedback from anybody who manages to read this, even more from anyone who's actually done it themselves..

Second things ... the car is RH drive if it's relevant, so any reference to left or right are made as though you're looking into the engine bay from the front...

Sitting comfortably?? .. then I'll begin....

Ok ..so the story goes....

It gets warm: the AC in my 96 CSE FPT doesn;t work, so I have it re-gassed... still doesn't work *shrugs shoulders* it never gets too hot in the UK anyway, who needs AC??
It gets cold: the heating in my '96 CSE FPT doesn't always come on properly so I fiddle with the controls, do the re-calibration thing, fix the leaking pressure valve in my expansion tank cap, panic cos I think the heater core needs replacing...yeah - you know the thing..

So - I check this forum, check Townsend, check Quasi... heater core, blower motor, mixer flap doors.. pah! - all seem no problem so today I ventured into the depths of the engine bay... look at the false bulkhead - nope! doesn;t look anything like the one in Quasi's pics.. Mine is a two-piece job with a cable junction going through the larger piece and the smaller r/h piece carrying the box of gubbins for the ECU (well - I assume thats what it is..) Ok, disconnect the ecu and the other bits, manage to lift our both sections of the bulkhead to see a big plastic box on the left side containing the A/C heat exchanger and the pollen filter. Attached to the AC are two aluminium tubes, one has a flexible mid-section, the other (smaller one)appears to be rigid all the way back to the compressor...

this is where panic starts to set in... besides worrying about whether I can remember where all the screws go I start to wonder if the blower housing can be removed without disturbing the a/c box, whether if it does detach if I can get to the mixing chamber without taking the heater core out, have I damaged the ECU by unplugging it ... can I get any further without the risk of really f*cking anything up... One small glimmer of hope was that the heater core appeared to have hose clips not push-connects .. does this mean that the heater core has already been replaced??

See what I mean ??

if there is anybody here who can help with any of the above then I'd be very very glad to hear from you.. At risk of p!ssing folks off, I'll be posting this on the other SAABoard too so apologies if you;ve seen it twice.

Thanks

Greg

·
Registered
413 Posts
Hi Greg: I have done it myself, well replaced a heater matrix, that is; quite some time ago though, so I don't remember all the nitty gritty details ( other than the scraped knuckles and back pain ).
Mine is a '92 but probably similar.......but doesn't have a turbo. I think you may have to remove some turbo bits, but not sure on that.

*Mine is a two-piece job with a cable junction going through the larger piece and the smaller r/h piece carrying the box of gubbins for the ECU*

Yep, I recall that mine was a bit different; a small section at the left? I think the 'samples' on the excellent Townsend and Quasi are older models.........

*this is where panic starts to set in... besides worrying about whether I can remember where all the screws go I start to wonder if the blower housing can be removed without disturbing the a/c box*

I had to move the AC unit; I did not disconnect pipes; I undid some fixings,( and I think the cruise control vacuum unit, but your later car may be different here ) unclipped pipes from retainers on the inner wing and a helper had to heave, very carefully, the ac unit while I removed the blower assembly, with some difficulty......

*whether if it does detach if I can get to the mixing chamber without taking the heater core out,*

Not sure here, but I seem to recall that once got this far removal of the heater matrix/core is a doddle.

On the left hand side of the mixing chamber is a lever which has a cable attached and retained by a 'spire' clip. very difficult to get to; but this is the lever which operates the air mixer flap.( just a minute though; isn't this flap and lever in the 'blower assembly' unit, so needs to be disconnected before removing the blower, otherwise I wouldn't have needed to undo it? memory failure here ) I seem to remember that these levers can break but repair parts are available.....I think.......

*have I damaged the ECU by unplugging it ... can I get any further without the risk of really f*cking anything up.*

No, and no; always a risk of doing that but not very likely......depends exactly how much you are removing from here on....you know the whole car is built around the heater unit......

*One small glimmer of hope was that the heater core appeared to have hose clips not push-connects .. does this mean that the heater core has already been replaced??*

Cars from 1992 approx had a different heater matrix. The hoses push straight on to the pipe stubs; they don't have the earlier unpluggable 'manifold',so, no, it doesn't mean yours has been replaced.

HTH but I can't gaurantee the accuracy of what I have writ...

Harvey

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Harv... this is the most helpful feedback yet..surprisingly there's been very little constructive advice received, as from what I've read it would seem that this is one of the more common jobs to do on the 9000.. ah well...

I think I'll just plug away at it and rely on plastic padding and duct tape for any cock-ups I make on the way ..

Cheers

Greg

·
Registered
413 Posts
Greg,
just a couple more comments.
I'm not sure from what you previously wrote if you are replacing the heater matrix. If so,you can get them from Euro Car Parts ( ECP ) for a lot less than from Saab.
The most comon fault with them I think is that they start to leak, probably due to corrosion. You haven't mentioned a leak, so the matrix may not be the fault with yours, unless it is silted up or has an air lock, perhaps.
Tip:- want to know where all your screws go? replace as many of them into their fittings as you go; either into the part removed, or the part left behind.
Have a few small glass jars and some adhesive labels and all those you can't do the above with; drop into the jars and label with what they are.

Harvey

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Harv...

I managed to get the blower off this afternoon, much cussing and fiddling. The mixer flap underneath was functioning ok, all linked to the control arm too. The heater matrix was shagged though, all green and slimy down one side so I'm off the German and Swedish tomorrow to get a new'un for £58.00. I'm still a little worried though that, as the mixer flap was apparently working ok, the heat even from a leaky matrix should have beed more consistent.

Hopefully I'll remember where everything went (The wiper arm was a complete ****** to get out)and that I've not cracked any of the A/C pipe joints and with a good flush of hte cooling system all may be well again..

Thanks again for yr help.. much appreciated.

Greg

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.