Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Cars just passed its MOT(1995,cse2.3lpt)whilst under going the test the tester noticed a small crack(5-10mm)where the sump plug fits weapping oil which needs welding found someone to weld it problem is i cant get to 1 of the torxs bolts... The car is on ramps on my drive and ive just spent 5hours on my back(no laughing)taken the undertray exhaust flywheel cover off got all but 1 bolt off the sump its the one hidden behind the the drivers side drive shaft i cant get a socket/ratchet/exstention bar/hand in or around it nothing fits the angle that the bolts at!!! has anyone taken the sump off and managed to get to that blasted bolt if you have how did you do it because ijust cant get it. Any help will be really apreciated.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Unfortunately I can't give you instructions on how to remove the sump. However, I have just had the sump replaced on my car and the garage and I got a bill for seven hours labour.

Half way through the job I saw that they had disassembled the right hand side front suspension and removed the driveshaft so it it is not a simple job.

My car has a manual gearbox and the sump was cracked where it bolts onto the gearbox. The garage told me it is common for in-experienced mechanics to crack the sump when trying to remove the gearbox as they are not aware of the bolt which joins the two components together.

Good luck with the task.

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
I don't know how to get at the last bolt, but I do know that the sump can be rempved wihtout having to go to the extent of dismantling that kiamaian describes. Abbott did mine a while back and I think the only thing they had to take off was the exhaust downpipe.

Good luck- let us know how you get on.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies guys ive been told by a freind that i have to undo the engine mounts and raise the engine bhy several inches this will raise the sump and also drop the driveshaft giving me access to the bolt!!!! looks like a long week in front of me will let you know how i go on.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.