Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's what is happening :
I've got a wee wee noise on the steering pump, noise wich was increasing each time I use my 9K. First the noise disappears after a few seconds, then after a minute....It was the consequence of a leak at the return hose junction to the plastic container ( sorry for the word ). Resolve it by tightening the hose clamp (?), and adding some steering oil, as it was almost empty.
I've decided to change the pump, so I did it, and full it with new steering oil, following the procedure : turning wheels, etc... AND THE NOISE STILL EXISTS. It lasts a few seconds then disappear, but happen each time I start the car after a while.
What can I DO ? I'm a bit disappointed, as I've done the whole job with care. Kind of desperate. I've already been changing a lot of things on my 9K, and it's like I won't see the end. So, please, if someone got an Idea, HELP ME ! I'm really disouraged, as I was thinking that it was it, that I've done evrything I can to make it run perfect ! Thank anyway to all of you
HAPPY NEW YEAR ! I think I'll keep on saabin anyway !
Laurent, your french friend

·
Registered
430 Posts
Laurent - I'm sure that you have checked that the noise was not coming from the drive belt or one of the other pulleys or idler/tensioner wheels.

Does the noise stop if you turn the steering wheel?

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for answering,
when I turn the steering wheel, the noise first increase, then, after a few turns, disappears. That's why I'm thinking that it comes from the steering system. And its localisation seems to confirm that !
If you've got an Idea on what to do, I WILL do it. Thank you anyway.Cheers, Laurent

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
Laurent,

It's worth looking at the serpentine belts as when you turn the wheel, you increase the load on the pump which is getting it's power from the belt.

Belts will often make a little noise when cold as they do not grip the metal wheels as well.

Check the condition of your belt and tensioner mechanism. You could try applying a small amount of 'belt resin' to see if it cures it.

Andrew

1 - 4 of 4 Posts