Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please help me! My aero has just started stuttering as the boost needle goes into the red, it is almost like there is a safety circuit cutting the boost. The car runs fine apart from this, under normal driving conditions unless you floor the accelarator, then the problem starts.

Any ideas??

·
Registered
706 Posts
Although i didn't own the car at the time, the dealer printouts for the car at one point say 'Customer says car is stuttering under hard acceleration'
I assume this might be the same fault.
They eventually traced the fault to the APC solenoid valve (Don't ask me! ;-) ).
This was in March and looked like the valve cost about £105

Hope that helps
Skiddins

·
Registered
260 Posts
How far into the red does it get before it starts 'stuttering'?
It may be that it's overboosting and it's just the fuel cut out working to protect your engine. Mine goes about midway into the red, then backs off to just ibto the red.
Is yours running higher than this?
Perhaps someones been playing with boost levels?
Pete.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It is almost like it is overboosting (Had this before on a previous carlsson, but that was running 1.5 bar boost!)
This one is completely standard, the needle goes just over halfway into the red and then cuts back, goes back up,then cuts back again.
Could well be over boosting, but shouldn't be as it has not been really cold enough yet, so there must be something else triggering it. Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
That definately sounds like overboosting.My car will only go a short way into the red before cutting. I have noticed recently that mine will overboost in the mornings and it isn't that cold yet.

Neil

·
Registered
600 Posts
I've got an aero, from previous responses on this site I understand there is an over boost protection.

If you bury the throttle in 2nd or 3rd on mine the boost guage goes right into the red and at about 5000 rpm the engine cuts out (!!!!!). It is fine under normal conditions.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have replaced the apc valve and it has made no difference, i have checked all pipes and they seem ok, any body else got any more ideas, cause this is really annoying me. I think it is over boosting now, but i dont understand the reason. Even on a warm day it is still doing it.

regards

Stuart

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I was told that a seized wastegate would have this effect, but I can move the rod in and out (under spring tension)

Could it be stuck inside??

Any ideas? Has anyone ever stipped one down?

Thank You

Stuart

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Sounds like the same problem, if you get it sorted b4 me please let me know the cause, likewise I will put it up on this post as soon as Ive cured it!

Otherwise there could be a very cheap late immaculate aero going up for sale. (with a stutter!)

·
Registered
970 Posts
sjw,

Have you checked the DI and the lead running to it?

Where is the boost needle in the apc guage peaking, at the start of the red or further into it?

Is this at the same place as it normally peaked?

Is the acceleration up until shut off as strong as normal?

If I know the answers to these I'll talk to my 'tech' tomorrow to try to get you a definitive answer.

Regards

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The acceleration is as strong as normal until the needle reaches the start of the red lines where it starts to overboost (feels like hitting a rev limiter) it used to go past the red lines and a little way into the solid red. I have not checked the di cassette as I am not sure what it is (is it the red bit ontop of th engine)
thanks for the help in advance

Stuart

·
Registered
970 Posts
yep, it's the replacement for the ignition coil and plug leads. It provides a coil for each plug with its own lead and the better ones are apparently the red ones where the lead running to it is detachable, by way of a plug where it meets the cartridge.

·
Registered
970 Posts
Sturat,

Looks like a simple problem after all. HAve you checked the vacuum pipe which runs from the wastegate to the s-way valve at the top of the radiator? He thinks it gone. I asked him should all vacuum pipes be changed to which he replied depends on thier consdition but the he had only ever changed the one.

Hope this sorts you out.

Regards,

Bambo

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.