Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hiya all,

Driving along today, occasionally it feels like the car wants to me-ander all over the road, not when I am braking, and not only 1 direction.

I think I might need some sort of bushes replaced, which ones are these and can I do them myself?

Mark

·
Registered
11,343 Posts
I'd second MarkE on tyre-pressures. My 9-3 felt all wobbly just like my classic 900. The classic 900 required new rear ARB bushes whereas the 9-3 just needed more air in the tyres. Handling (or lack of) felt similar on both

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys for the quick reply,
I have just had new tyres (GSD03's) fitted and at Micheldever, also got the tracking done. It was happening before this as well though, but I thought it was the lack of grip on the (almost) legal level tyres and the wheels were way out of alignment.

Mark

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Originally posted by /john:
[qb]For me this was worn rear ARB bushes - but there could be other possibilites that someone else might outline. [/qb][/b]
I have got Poly ones one the rear ARB. Also got Koni Adjustable shocks with standard Aero springs.

Someone said that it could be the front wishbone bushes. Has anyone changed these and are the difficult?
Thanks for all the help! It's driving me crazy!

·
Registered
222 Posts
I recently had a new pair of Bridgestone SR-03 fitted to the front of my 9000 Aero.

It now wobbles just like you describe. I put it down to tyre pressure, and will experiment to see what a change will do.

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
Originally posted by greenphotos:
[qb]  QUOTE
Originally posted by SteveN:
[qb] Have you already ruled out worn track rod ends? [/qb][/b]
err... I have heard of them before, but have no idea what they are [/qb][/b][/quote]If you jack up the car and whip of the wheels you'll be able to see the steering tracking rod come out through the wheel arches. This connects at each end to the wheel assembly via a track rod end with a ball joint. If you can feel 'undue' play here (ie, there is sloppiness) then the track rod end (AKA Tie Rod End) needs replacing. It's a fairly cheap part from the likes of Elkparts and about 20 minutes easy work to replace DIY using a hammer and IIRC 18mm spanner.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Hi
My aero used to feel very "wandery" at any sort of speed and particularly on rougher surfaces.

I have recently changed the front wishbone rear bushes for poly ones which also highlighted that the ball joint had gone on one side (I suppose the stiffer poly did not absorb the clonking like the old rubber one did).

i also fitted poly rear ARB bushes at same time. The car is transformed in terms of high speed stability and is banished of it's wheel shake and general skittishness and feels pretty solid and planted now.

Butterfly bushes were a bit of a pain but not too bad if you perfect your "pressing in a vice" technique.

HTH
Ant

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey - did this ever get resolved? Since the dealer replaced my drop links, some bushes at the front and front springs (about 2 years ago) I have had the same. I am thinking of replacing front and rear ARB bushes with powerflex ones - but not sure which others I should do?

Every time they drive it they cant feel an issue, but its there and its annoying as hell.

Have Map tun springs on it now, have checked the alignment (which took 3 different places to sort as they kept using the wrong figures from SAAB), its going in for Map tun exhaust, air filter, stage 1 and other tweaks so can get bushes done then - or is it an easy job to do yourself?

Just need to know what will sort this annoying feeling of meandering down the road.

Thanks

Ben

9-3 Aero, '06

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.