Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just been out driving (very gently) when i turned a corner and herd an almighty scratchy sound (i would describe as gravel in a plastic bottle being shaken). I stopped, and shut off the engine the sound stopped, reluctantly i started it again and the sound was there again.

Being miles from home and seeing a light source in the distance i drove on to see if i could see anything wrong, the car drove fine and after a few second the noise died right down to almost nothing. So i continued to drive home seing as the car seemed fine & there were no warning lights on display.

The noise came back twice on the way home then stopped again, i can now hear the noise again on tick over, but its too dark to get a decent look until the morning... any ideas as to what could be waiting for me???? (btw its a n plate 9000 aero auto)

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Finally had chance to check the car over & found a shredded auxillary drive belt, not split put parts wound round altenator cog like it had just fallen apart.

all the cogs on the belt run spin freeley, so its not a jammed cog any ideas what would make a belt got like this?? btw the belt isnt that old?

·
Registered
662 Posts
if the tensioner is a bit weak,then it makes it possible for the serps to jump over.when this happens the overhanging bit rubs on parts on the inner wing etc and gets destroyed.check out the spring in the tensioner.
simon

·
Registered
16,524 Posts
Tensioner is favourite, but, if you've run the engine with no belt, you will not have had a waterpump for that time; so the engine could have got very hot. Gasket OK?

Check also thet the pulley shafts are all in line. If the belt has wedged behind them they could be bent of of line. May be worth changing the pulleys anyway while the belt's off. Check also waterpump for leaks.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks guys, the tensioner sounds like it could be the problem ( the belt was shagged on the wing edge side only) and it sounds like it could have been rubbing on the inner wing.

I have a new belt, hopefully a mate of mine can fit it asap.

Many thanks
Kev

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.