Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all
Just had a b****r of a day!!!

Out in the Aero earlier, just driving along and suddenly there was a terrible banging/grating noise from the front of the car. I dipped the clutch and pulled up immediately. When I put the car back in gear and tried to pull away there was a noise something like a banging/juddering as if a splined drive was jumping. Called out the RAC who towed the car back. Whilst pushing it onto the tow hitch, the car pushed with no noises, also the same when I pushed it back up my drive.

I got a friend to take up the drive in the car by releasing the clutch at tickover in first while I listened in the engine bay and it sounds very much like it is coming from the clutch. At times it would pull against the handbrake, others it would just bang and judder.

I had the box rebuilt 4 months/3000 miles ago and also had a full clutch/slave etc at the same time.

If it is the clutch I will be happy as it is on warrenty but does anyone thing it sounds like a box or diff problem??

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Ta
Ant

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
Ant,

What gear were you in when it happened?

What gears does it do it in now?

Does it do it in all gears if you try to pull away in 1st,2nd,3rd,4th and 5th?

Does the clutch feel 'correct'?

Do you have both drive shafts intact?

Can you see the clutch /clutch housing going round and looking OK at tickover?

What year is your Aero?

Andrew

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi
I was in third when it happened and it does it in first second and reverse, daren't try any more.
The cltch action at the pedal feels fine, correct bite and no roughness at all although the noise on taking up drive sounds very much like from the bellhousing/clutch.

the shafts do look OK with no visibile damage to the gaiters.Thinking back, it rumbled when coasting in gear, and did feel a bit like something "locked up" when pushing it onto the tow hitch (winch had failed!!).
It is a 1994/95 m reg Aero
Thanks for getting back so soon.

Cheers
Ant

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi all
Just tried it in all gears and it is the same in all 6 gears although it will "bite" sometimes without juddering and then not. It seems to judder worse if trying to move with handbrake off..if it is held against the bite of the clutch against the handbrake it seems to hold mostly and not judder.

Cheers guys
Ant

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
As it's happening in all gears, I'd be tempted to suspect a problem with either the clutch friction plate or pressure plate rather than the box.

I don't think tho that you'll get a definite answer until the box is out

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Mark

I'll not know until Tuesday until I get it in the garage but thanks for the help.It does not feel gearbox related unless my luck is cursed! Funnily enough my girlfriends MX5 clutch gave up today

It's a shame as I'd just spent 3 weekends renovating the alloys (look damn good now!) and polishing the hell out of it!

Photos of the alloy re furb when I feel a bit more car friendly!!!

Any more advice would be greatly appreciated

Ta
Ant

·
Registered
778 Posts
Ant, there's two other items that Mark didn't mention that should be considered possibilities: the intermediate shaft or the intermediate shaft bearing hanger. The hanger is the piece that bolts the back part of the engine to the back lower motor mount. The transaxle, when being replaced, has to be aligned at both the clutch/pressure plate end and with the output shaft where it mates with the intermediate shaft. Even if they're not aligned properly, one might still be able to start the bolts which secure the bellhousing to the engine. What usually happens is that the bearing mount, which is cast, will fracture. Or maybe the intermediate shaft didn't have the splines aligned properlly and cracked......don't ask why I know about this

·
Registered
222 Posts
I don't want to jinx this in advance but what you're describing sounds very much like what happened to me ('94 9k Aero) when the gearbox casing cracked (imperceptibly when still on the car) and all the oil fell out. The box chewed itself to pieces inside and needed replacing but clutch action and feel was ok throughout the experience.

As with what you described, you can get it into any gear and it would still go but as you set off or accelerate hard you feel something slip and jerk in the transmission but if you lift off the power it engages, running was normal but with increased noise.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the advice.

I have spoken to the garage who did the gearbox repair/clutch in December and like I suspected, he suspects that the clutch driven plate has broken up. Hopefully that is the case as that is covered under Saab warrenty.

Here's hoping....I'll try and get some photos for the black museum..

Cheers
Ant

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Oh well..

Just spoken to the garage and he reckons that it feels like 3rd gear has stripped it's teeth which is a box out and rebuild job.

This is particularly gutting since the box was out in December for a rebuild/new bearings and cost me over £900 then for peace of mind, doing the clutch/slave etc at the same time.It's only done 3000 miles of steady driving since then

I'm expecting this to be bad news when he gets the box stripped, as the bits have probably caused other damage as well.The fault has been diagnosed so far by taking the cover off, he says he can feel the shafts locking.

I see some of you guys have had recon boxes with warrenty (not sure if I have any sort of warrenty on the work I have had done previously) and I was wondering if this would be a better route to go now, at least I will get 6 months/a year.

What sort of money can I expect to pay for a recon box with a decent warrenty and any ideas where from?

Think I'm going to go and drown my sorrows now!!

Cheers
Ant

·
Registered
116 Posts
Anthony,

I saw the car in yesterday when I was collecting mine, a very clean, tidy car. I'm sorry to hear about the gearbox, was it Dave who did the previous work for you?

He cured the inner-drive problems for me and also tightened up the awkward engine mount that was knocking quite prominently. Amazing how the car glides now, even better than I first thought it would be.

Hope all turns out better than you think.
Lee

PS. Just drove past whilst out pootling with the Wife and it's still safe and secure.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks Lee

Yes it was probably mine if it was a black one.

I like to think it is fairly well cossetted but am seriously beginning to lose faith and, I hate to say it, considering calling it a day.

My car is basically stock power so if I can be expecting to strip gears and face £1000 repair bills when driven within what I consider to be 75% of it's probable capcity then it really is questionable whether I keep it.

It was Dave who did the previous work on my box, I am just hoping that we can come to some sort of agreement given the recent rebuild and limited mileage since.
Thanks for the comments on the car and keeping an eye on her

In the meantime, does anyone know of a reasonably priced warrentied box supplier please.

Cheers
Ant

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
All

I have found out that it is the crown wheel and pinion that are toast in my gearbox. A bit of tooth has also holed the gearbox casing.

I have been quoted £650 for a recon box from DCA with 1 year warrenty. Has anyone used them before and what is the quality of the service, was the box any good and what does the warrenty cover.
It is a long way from here so I will have to get it carriered up here and the old one taken back. Have any of you guys done this before?

Sadly, I have also decided that my time with the old girl will be coming to an end once she is fully fit again.It's a shame as it is a great motor but it's really just a confidence thing for me once now it has let me down....anyone want a nice black Aero..soon to be appearing in the ads with a recon box.

Cheers if anyone can advise.

Ant

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
I've recently fitted a recon box bought from DCA, but I'm not sure how much else I can contribute. Mine was £450, but perhaps the premium is because yours in an Aero box, and hence more rare.

Anyway, they are very friendly and helpful, and their service was good. They were happy to pack up the box for me for transport.

After a bit of searching I found a small, local courier who transported the box to me for £35. (All the big companies I asked wanted at least twice that - if they'd even touch it, which most wouldn't.)

I haven't yet returned my old box to get my deposit back, but I will probably drive there because there are a couple of things I'd like to get them to look at.

They are well spoken of on this forum, so if they seem OK in person as it were, I may even start using them for regular work, even though they are about 1 1/2 hours away.

The box seems fine - a bit noisy in first I thought, but I can't remember what the old one sounded like, so I will ask them when I see them.

I haven't yet tested the warranty or seen the exact terms, to be honest, but I trust them to be fair and reasonable.

So far though, a positive experience.

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
Originally posted by Anthony B:
[qb]Oh well..

This is particularly gutting since the box was out in December for a rebuild/new bearings and cost me over £900 then for peace of mind, doing the clutch/slave etc at the same time.It's only done 3000 miles of steady driving since then

I see some of you guys have had recon boxes with warrenty (not sure if I have any sort of warrenty on the work I have had done previously) and I was wondering if this would be a better route to go now, at least I will get 6 months/a year.
[/qb][/b]
Irrespective of whether you had a warranty, if these parts were part of the rebuild you have a right to expect a reasonable standard pf workmanship & duty of care. Is there a reason why you aren't considering going back to the guys who rebuilt it for some sort of recompense, or part-recompense? Or have I missed something?

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for the help guys. Sent the seller of the box on e.bay a few questions so hopefully....

The box was reconditioned to take away a whine from the pinion bearings, mostly in 1st and second on the overrun. I did ask the guy who did it to do anything else that he found while it was out. I also had the clutch/slave cylinder/pipe etc done at the same time.
His comments at the time were that the box internals were in very good condition with no faults apparent.

His comments were that the crown wheel has broken due to out and out power which is odd as my car is standard on standard boost. At the time it went bang I was changing from 2nd to 3rd at roughly 35mph.

He did not work on the differential as far as i know and so says this is a catostrophic failure which any rebuild would not "predict"

Not really sure what my rights are for come back on this though.

Thanks chaps
Ant

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.