Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I had a faulty rheostat on my '89 9000 - The dimming on maximum and minimum were virtually the same (very dim).
I tried changing the rheostat for a replacement (not new), and it was better for a short while, but after about a week the whole lot failed, leaving me with nothing to see except the pictogram and the selector/fault display.

I have checked the fuse, and checked there is still voltage going to the dimmer switch, both of which are fine. Changing the rheostat back to the original (very dim) one, made no difference - still no dash lights.

I've never seen the point of a dimmer switch for the dash lights (no pun intended), so I wish to bridge the circuit and remove it permanently.
Does anyone have a wiring diagram for the rheostat (well, the rheostat connector)? Which wire is which?

Many thanks in advance,
Jo.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I did this in August and wish I'd kept better notes. Anyway, only one wire is a ground. Only one is hot. There are three outputs. What I did is I removed my rheostat, disassembled it, cut one trace (or maybe two) and tied the outputs to the input. My findings regarding the connector are in this post. 1 is hot, 7 is ground. Within the rheostat the outputs are shunted together. Later, I will try to post a photograph of what i did. One caveat - mine is an MY95 and may be different from yours.

A DVM or VOM will be your best friend here, because I have not found in diagrams, even in alldata's diagrams, an accurate reflection of what I found in the car.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Apologies for the delay. Here is a photo of how I modded the Dimmer board to just shunt what needed shunting. It is actually simpler than joining the wires at the connector.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Apologies for the delay. Here is a photo of how I modded the Dimmer board to just shunt what needed shunting. It is actually simpler than joining the wires at the connector.[/b]
Many thanks, but sounds far too delicate for my shakey hands. I managed to fix it permanently yesterday morning (8th), by simply cutting the three wires (I think it's brown;brown;white/brown) that lead to the different illuminations. Cutting the green live feed and connecting them all together.

Thank th'lord, I can SEE!

I wasn't until I put it all back together that I realised, I could have taken the wire for the speedo illumination and hooked it up to the lights. Then I'd actually remember to turn my light on before I leave, and off again when I arrive.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Apologies for the delay. Here is a photo of how I modded the Dimmer board to just shunt what needed shunting. It is actually simpler than joining the wires at the connector.[/b]
Thanks, that worked a treat. Took me 10 minutes or so.

·
Registered
5 Posts
The dimmer rheostat on my 1995 Saab 900 SE turbo convertible looks a little different than this one and the colors of my wires are different as well. Does anyone know how to do this same thing but on the 1994 to 1998 range Saab 900's? I'd tried to resolder the solder spots right by the pins but that didn't help.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Does anyone know which of these wires I could just jumper to bypass using the circuit board all together?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts