Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whilst trying to open the bonnet on my 1998 2.3 Turbo the bonnet release pull-handle mechanism under the dash has dismembered itself, and I cannot get the bonnet open to find the fault. Does anyone know how?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Hi Ian,

Can't you get to grips with the cable using a pair of pliers? What has actually failed? Has the plastic handle broken or has the cable apeared to have snaped?

Describe what you know of the release mechansim

Mal.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've tried the pliers on the end of the cable. There appears to be a jam somewhere in the cable or mechanism under the bonnet. The handle under the dash has simply pulled the end off the cable. I need to release the bonnet latch from outside of the car.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
You need to get the grille off to get at the bonnet release catches, there are two. Trouble is the two screws retaining the grille are covered by the closed bonnet.
Prising with a screwdriver may be an option but with two catches would require 2 people working simultaneously and there is always the danger letting the screwdriver slip and holing the radiator as a wellmeaning friend did to a 99 I once had.
Under the circumstances, getting a more substantial grip of the cable with Mole grip and getting a good pull on it may prove more effective.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts