Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello - Any one got any ideas?

My 9000 just stopped yestaday - I had been on a longish run 60-70 miles R/T.

On my way back all running fine stopped for petrol as I was getting low almost in to the red but not low enough to get the warning light.

Stopped filled up - Started - car running horrible limped out of the petrol station - then conked out not starting - Called RAC and got taken home.

Yes - I did put petrol in !

I checked spark and fuel - had fuel at the return back of the injector rail - RAC guy said it was one of the relays? After doing what I just did? I have checked both the injector system and the pump relays (top of the fuses in the glove box) both appear to be clicking when starting - Car turns over and just does not fire - seems like petrol is not there - But the return is gushing when opened on turn over?

Anyone got any ideas what I can check - My next move is to take off the rail and look at the injectors to see if they are blocked? Petrol appears to be at the rail but not getting into the combustion chamber??

As this is a pain - I was wondering if any bright sparks had a better plan or some other quick and dirty tests I could use?

Could it be the relay? cause thats easy? I don't think so but don't really know!

THANKS

Andrew

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
Welcome to Saabscene, Andrew.

It might help to know what model and year you have, as tings differed from year to year and it might be relevant.

I assume when you say you checked for spark, you got one or you would have mentioned it, so on to the fuel.

If you're getting pressure, then the pump is at least working and so is the pump relay. Also, the fuel filter is passing enough fuel at least to start the engine. I find it unlikely that all four injectors could pack up at once. If you try to start, then take the plugs out, is there a smell of fuel?

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
Doh! Just noticed it's an '87 2.0 CDiS. Didn't think there were any CDs until '88. Was it an '88 model, and does it have Direct Ignition (no distributor)?
Thinking again, the erliest CDs were turbo only. Are you sure it's an '87 CD?

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
Contarary to the off year/spec/model, for a car not to fire there must be something wrong with fuel or spark.

for it to fail completely (i.e all 4 cylinders) it must be something that is common to all 4 cylinders.

so exclude things like spark plugs.

You seem to have fuel, and unless the Fuel comp has gone awol or blown a fuse, or crank angle sensor gone, so that none of the injectors are opening, then it must be a spark related issue.

If it's spark, is it at the right time? can you smell fuel at the exhaust tail pipe?, is the spark strong?

It's probably best if you can give us the full spec of your car.

i.e
size cc, Model Year, DI or Dizzy, NA or turbo etc.

Andrew

·
Registered
16,524 Posts
Check the rotor arm as well. On my Rover 620 I broke down on the motorway and the AA man could not find the fault. All sparks there, all fuel there.

Towed to garage. It turned out that the rotor arm had cracked and rotated on its shaft. Plenty of sparks - all in the wrong place

Either that or I'd vote for the crank sensor.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Does the tach bounce when cranking? if not, this would be an evidence of a faulty crank position sensor. If it does, it's an evidence of its wellness.

BTW, CPS wasn't there in '87 cars I believe.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sorry - You are right on the money the year is '89 (finger trouble)- It is the Boch fuel injection system.

I have checked and got spark, good one on the Lead - Have also checked the injector Electronically (diode) and it appears to be pulsing - I don't know about the timing but all was running well immediately before - No strange noises or anything! - But the rev counter is bouncing when turning over.

To recap - '89(sorry,)2.0L, N/A, DIZZY - Its seems to me like theres no fuel getting to the plugs!

I will check the fuel computer - As that could be a problem? (THANKS Andrew)- Also will take a plug out and check for smell of fuel.

THANKS

For all the help and suggestions to date - Cheers guys!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Latest - There looks to be some fuel in the plug bore - Although it seems that there should be more to me ? faint fuel smell when dipping a rag in and pulling it out - Spark is good, seems to be timed OK - What electrical cleverness could stop it working - No Blown fuses? Is it the ECU? Or something in the fuel injection syatem miss behaving?

Its been running perfectly!

It does not seem like the fuel is getting there in enough quantity - But what do I know - I can't make it start!!!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Bill - I have tried with the Injection unit open i.e. with the air inlet pipe diconected and removed so that the end of the injection manifold metal bit is just open - No joy! It seems like the petrol just is not being allowed into the injectors?

I am starting to suspect the ECU - I might try to see if I can get a hand to look at the ECU codes to see if there lies the problem.

When starting 1st try it almost fires - After that with subsiquent goes no joy!

There does not appear to be any combustion - there is a little whitish smoke.

Anybody local got a spare ECU to swap test?

Its off to the scrappies on Monday! (me not the car so I can look for a replacement)

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
No more ideas as yet. Be sure to take the ECU with you or write down the part number off it, as there were quite a few different ones and in my experience, scrappies just bung them on the shelf and have no idea which car they came from.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have started to worry about the timing chain now - As something could have gone there? and now the timing is out causing the fuel issue?

Don't know enough about the way these Electronic fuel injection ignition systems work!

Damn computers - they should never be in cars!

I will still go the ECU route as I can't believe it the timing chain

THANKS for all the replies to date just wish it was going!

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
You say you are getting white smoke through the exhaust, this is normally a sign of unburnt fuel, so I wouldn't say it was a fuel problem.

Have you tried manually setting the engine up to check the static timing?

I'd be inclined to suspect something manual, ECU's don't generally have a problem, but it's not unheard of.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Oh hell,why do I do this,i started reading this topic just for general knowledge,would you believe it went to start the car this morning,farted,coughed,now nothing,have I got a hypochondriac car or what!!!
I've got sparks from the coil,fuel at the rail,oh b******s!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
When you find out .....Let me know!

I am off out to do the static timing at some point today - Although the why of that is fightening!

If that goes OK then its a quick test with plugs out, fuel in the bores, plugs back, then start quick -If it runs but stops we're back to suspecting the ECU!

Watch this space for another installment of "S**T it won't go"

Its 'starting'(no pun intended) to justify buying a 2.3 Turbo - I think...I wonder if her indoors will buy that.....?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Ok,here's my tale,No start this morning good sparks all round,shorted out the fuel pump relay,fuel gets to engine,so the relay is not being energised for some reason,the relay is energised by an earth througth the pressure switch according to the Haynes manual,but where the bloody hell is the pressure switch?
Any help much appreciated as I'm getting mighty fed up with this ca r!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The saga continues
"S**T It won't start"

Still not running - Static timing looks good enough to fire and run.

Went to the Saab breakers...The bloke who was the saab expert has left
So theres no knowledge base Ther is a lot of saab bits everywhere with no-one who really knows whats what - I looked though the ECU's none that matched mine Plenty of SAAB type ones - Even a running a white G reg 900 Turbo with leather interior and TAX they want £250 ish! Rusty 200K+ miles but full saab service history - Dropt me a line if anyone interested? (different SAAB type ECU)

So next to try is getting some petrol in and seeing if it fires up then its back to looking for an ECU

By the way....Whyme you don't get your petrol at Tescos Neath abbey? Long shot? But it would explain a lot!

1 - 20 of 46 Posts