Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help – Heater Fan Motor Problem.

Can anyone please advise on a problem?
My 97 car has AC with climate control but the heater fan motor has stopped working. I spent today looking under the cover at the base of the windscreen at the motor. When a battery was connected across the motor plug terminals it seemed to work OK, even with quite a low voltage. The other side of the plug shows a voltage, which goes up and down as the fan switch is adjusted, up to 11 volts. This means to me, it all should work. Tried cleaning the terminals thinking it may be a dry joint, then suddenly while messing with the plug the motor started working OK, ign off and on, no problem. Put everything back together but after being switched off for a while wouldn’t work again. Removed cover and went through the same routine and it started working again, but then stopped same as before. I am sure the plug is OK and the motor seems to be working so can anyone suggest the problem. It’s driving me crazy and its bloody cold.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: Help – Heater Fan Motor Problem.

As a follow up to the above I found a web site which directed me through the checking of the ventilation fan control. This morning I did all the checks and the problem appears to be with the climate control unit. Does anyone know where I can get this serviced, repaired or exchanged without costing a fortune?

·
Registered
657 Posts

Strange, I just logged on to report some findings on (nearly) this topic.
I have seen references earlier to problems with fan motors either not working at all or position 4 not working.
I have 89 9000 hatch. My heater fan has always been fine, working correctly on all settings.
While looking at a 9000 being broken for spares I spotted a new cabin air filter inside the car. I got it for 50p. On opening up the access to remove my old filter I found some earlier skinflint had cut away most of the filter (it looked ok until I turned the half-cover).
I fitted the new filter.
However, the fan now struggles to run, even on '4' it is hardly turning.
I suspect this filter is hardly ever changed and over time the fan motor gives up the ghost in trying to overcome more and more restriction.
So I guess I'll go back to no filter.

·
Registered
4 Posts

Mick, You may want to check out the fan resistor. It doesn't look like a standard resistor. It is computer controlled. It should look like a black rectangle box screwed into the air duct near the evaporator core. It will have 4 screws holding it in and one electrical connection.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Thanks for the replies.
I removed the cabin filter and it looked as though it had never been changed (full Saab Service history) but I don’t know what it should look like so I can’t be sure, am fitting a new one anyway.
As for the fan motor, having further investigated the problem I discovered that the pin outs given on the web site were wrong and when corrected it seems the climate control unit may be OK!
Having looked further I found an obvious fault with the motor controller, (on of the terminals burned and melted away), I have ordered another (ouch) which I hopes cures the problem. My main concern now is, that the motor may have a fault which overloaded the original controller and when I fit the new one it will cause the same problem, although, I would of thought if this was the case it would of blown a fuse and it seems to be working fine, even with low voltage. So I guess I will see what happens.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.