Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, what do the track day regulars amongst us wear? Looked at Biesheuvel Autosport today (the man recommended an entry-level Bieffe (I think) for 200 euro - and one thing that caught my eye that -all- the helmets on display were white! That's no good - I have a black car, and besides I want to look badass like Stig from TG!

While on the subject - is the provision of rental helmets common practice on track days, or should one really get his own?

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
Get your own ...
they are not too dear unless you go for a schumakker jobbie and it is ever so much more hygenic

where's that demon Tweeks catalougue

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
I used a black full-face motorcycle helmet on my first track day. Many other people use them too (not necessarily black ones), as they have them anyway. Since my helmet was a bit old, I bought a cheap-ish Sparco open-face helmet from Demon-Tweeks. It cost £55 (about 80-odd Euros). A visor is not necessary unless the car is open.

My advice would be to get yourself down to your local motorbike shop and have a look at their range.

Some track days will hire helmets, but many don't.

·
Registered
3,618 Posts
Bell make very good car helmets.. there are those that are FIA approved (which means you can use them for competition)... and there are those that don't have FIA certification.

You don't need FIA certification for trackdays.. so any helmet is fine.. I've got a shoei motorcycle job (which I used with riding.. but now for trackdays.) very comfy.

·
Registered
4,895 Posts
I've read in EVO that motorcycle helmets are tax exempt, so a lightweight car helmet (i.e. one thats not legal for motorcycle use) would cost more.

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
Originally posted by Jason (Mr Torque-Steer):
[qb]I've read in EVO that motorcycle helmets are tax exempt, so a lightweight car helmet (i.e. one thats not legal for motorcycle use) would cost more. [/qb][/b]
No, because the motorcycle ones have to be constructed to higher standards so therefore cost more than the VAT saving...

Car ones can be had for around £55 IIRC.

·
Registered
400 Posts
But is your head your protecting. You may not need a 'bike' helmet but they are often made to british racing standards. Or Motorcyle racing standard. it usually has a sticker on the side of the helemt so from one whos been on bikes along time definitely think about it.

Personally I'm a Shoei fan. They come in all colours including black!! they retail from around £100 upwards depending on model and colour scheme. Good hunting

Andra

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
All good and well (thanks all, BTW ) but shouldn't a helmet for use in saloon cars have some form of added fire protection? That's what the salesman said, anyways...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts