Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I´m Fitipaldi.

Hello, I´m new, I´m from spain from club saab of spain like Carlos, Kalambre... etc

I have a question.... I have the 2.0i with a 133 hp... and i want to upgrade and gain some horses more.... I heard about some solutions like retire the catalyst , chips roms,,,....... do you know more avaliable solutions?

I see this page:

saab 900

I like to do the same!!!
but he didn´t say how!!!

Well, i hope you understand my english
I do not practice it much

Regards.

·
Registered
5,925 Posts
Re: Hello, I´m Fitipaldi.

Welcome to the board Fitipaldi

If you car is normally aspirated (i.e. a non-turbo) then it is always harder to get too much more horsepower.

Think you'd be talking sports exhaust system / sports air filters as the cheapest options to squeeze more power out of the 2.0i unit.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts

Welcome to the Board, Fitipaldi!
No need to be concerned about your English - it's much better than my Spanish and I can understand you perfectly!

enjoy,

Martin

·
Registered
1,935 Posts

Welcome to the board

There's about 17hp difference between your car and the one you mention. You should be able to get close to that by first "porting and polishing" the throttle housing (see this thread ) then fitting a free flow air filter and finally a larger bore exhaust.

All this will help the engine breath more easliy and should help you reach your target without breaking the bank. You can look at the filter and exhaust as investments which should last the life of the car. The throttle modification is free . Good luck

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Yes the engine is 2.0i normally aspirated.... i know it´s hard to increase the power...... but....

Sorry what is "throttle housing" (it means "cubierta de la válvula reguladora" in spanish.... but were is it???) and what kind of free flow air filter is the best (company or trade of air filter)?

And finally: Can i "porting and polishing" the throttle housing by myself?

Thanks very much is just the solution i want.... i don´t want to retire de catalist and chips roms..... I love my car, and I need it!!!

·
Registered
1,935 Posts

This link to the page on Eric's site ERP should help with the throttle housing question. From all the comments I've read you should be able to do it yourself.
what kind of free flow air filter is the best (company or trade of air filter)?[/b]
I use a French made JR one. K&N are the most well known for this type of filter (but more expensive and I don't think any better).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Thank´s for all!! do you know if the fuel consuption is larger with this modification? or the life of the engine is compromised?

When i do it, i comment in the forum thank´s again!!!

·
Registered
1,935 Posts

do you know if the fuel consuption is larger with this modification?[/b]
Depends how hard you drive it
or the life of the engine is compromised?[/b]
The SAAB 2.0l engine is built to take a lot more than 150hp. That said increasing the power will show up any small problems that were there before. At least there's less to go wrong on non-turbo cars

·
Registered
3,618 Posts

To really push up power on the NA engines, you have to go old-school. A chip upgrade will only gain 10% more power max, an exhaust a few hp and an airfilter one or two.

High cost will have to be incurred to push up HP, fast cams, porting and polishing head, taking weight out of the flywheel, removal of the complete airbox and replacement with a performance air-intake. Full exhaust change and a complete ECU remap to take into account machining work on engine. Weight removal from the car. All that stuff.

·
Registered
1,935 Posts

Agreed Mark but we're only talking about wanting a few more horses

From the exhaust, depending on bore and system and whether or not it includes downpipe, you'd gain 8-12hp easily enough. 2-3 more from a hi- flow filter (more if you go the bolt on induction kit route). Add to that a polished throttle casing and I'd have thought we're closing in on the 17hp required. A sports catalyser (if legal in Spain) and we're easily at target (though the cost would have gone up a bit ).

Of course beyond that we do get into serious expense and the "sell it and buy a turbo" conversation...

·
Registered
4,895 Posts

The SAAB 2.0l engine is built to take a lot more than 150hp. That said increasing the power will show up any small problems that were there before. At least there's less to go wrong on non-turbo cars  [/b]
I'm sure I saw a 9000i with 200bhp somewhere on the web. That had uprated ECU, injectors and other bits I can't remember. Likewise the page on which I saw it.

·
Registered
8,948 Posts

Back of the saab driver march/april 1995 has a fellow (W.J.Agus from edgeware) who had done lots to his h201 single carb engine from a 900 gl auto.

He did:-
fully balanced
flywheel
front pulley
h/d crank bearings
honing
pistons
conrods
shot peened
relieving, porting and polishing
valve springs
camshaft
twin carbs
camcover, inlet and carbs polished
stainless steel exhaust

Apparently that went quite well when finished.

No power figure though, but must be better that 100-108 bhp.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts