Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone tell me why the heating vent on the 9000 turbo 89',wont open.
A guy local told that the motors or motor thats behind the dash is probably faulty,and said that the dash would have to come out,or at least ahve to be 'prised' away from its mounts.
Has anyone any ideas?,I'd just like to get my heating system working again,cause' Iv'e no hot/cold air coming out of them,yes the car 'heats' up as normal,but like I say its just the vents that are the problem.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
I presume that your car has ACC in which case it's most likely that the actuator motor has packed up. If it is a manually operated heater then the flaps are cable operated and the cable may have come adrift. Either way the top will have to come off the dash to gain access. This is fairly straight forward. You will need a good selection of small Torx bits to do the job. Remove the A-pillar trims (these are the only bits that need prising). Then remove the speaker grilles and all the screws which are beneath them. Undo the screw behind the grommet at the top right of the glove box and the upward facing screw in the hole to the right of the rev-counter (not easily spotted). The dash top should now lift up. you will need to reach in an release the safety cable to allow it to come away altogether.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Derek
yeah,its got ACC,but when you say if its manually operated,no Iv'e got these buttons on the heater facia that say 'floor','vent',or 'bi-vent',its when you press one these buttons you hear 'clicking' and 'whirring' sounds as if its opening something somewhere (what should be the vents) but its not.But Where exactly is this actuator motor thats behind the dash,I mean Iv'e taken the 'lid' off the dash and I was looking inside and did see a motor (to the right hand side of the top vent),(thats the one in the centre of the dash next to the clock).
When I pressed one of these buttons stated above I could see some kind of small steel arm type thingy (about half the size of a pencil,and slightly thinner)moving,but I dont know what (if anything) its supposed to move,well obviously a vent somewhere.
I know this a very long letter to try and describe something,but I couldnt think of any other way,hope this sheds some light on it cheers.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Stewart,
I'm sorry I'm not able to help you any further Stewart. How the motor is connected to the flaps in the heater distribution box I don't know. If I come up with anything I'll let you know.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have a similar problem with a 1987 Turbo. Although the temp.control works I cannot alter the air distribution to demist, floor etc.as it is stuck in one position. The ACC diagnostic programme shows fault code 6U (Air distribution flap motor open circuit).As fault was intermittent at first I suspect the connector has dropped off. I followed the official Saab manual and removed glove box as directed but there was no sign of the motor. I suspect the manual was written for a left hand drive and the motor is behind the instrument panel. Before I do any further dismantling, does anyone know the easiest way of reaching this motor and where it is located? Thanks.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Yes, do as Derek suggests. The motor has a wire link which is connected to an arm on the heater box. Access to this is from under the bonnet area, not from inside the car. There is a retaining clip which holds the link to the arm which is near impossible to refit once removed. If the blower motor or heater matrix has been replaced this link may have fallen off; but go look at that website.

Harvey

1 - 7 of 7 Posts