Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all

Update on my heater problem - haven't had the time to dedicate any serious investigation into my hot and cold problem since my last post. The fault has changed, now the temperature operates correctly all through the steps of the ACC scale (17, 18 etc) but only for a few minutes, then when the temperature is correct in the cabin it suddenly goes cool! I reckon it is defaulting to about 17 or 18, but the temp guage could have 24 selected - if I then select 25 the heat kicks in again but goes cool. It works all the time on Hi though just to make it more confusing.

I know the flaps are opening and closing and I suspect the unit that dictates the cabin temperature is a bit sick - does anybody think I could be on the right track and is it likely to be expensive?

Whilst online - has anyone been sent a free oil and filter change mailing from SAAB? Just had one sent to me and booked in this Thursday - I might get SAAB to look at the heater but then again could the credit card cope?!

Cheers

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
If the system works for the first few minutes, then fails permanantly until cabin air cools, it maybe a heat sensative fault on the in-cabin temp sensor?!

If the system recovers after entering a new (e.g. higher) temp setting, sounds like it could be a fault internal to the ACC unit.

Bless my soul, why would I swap A/C for ACC anyday (if it was easy!).
Especially as the older temp control knobs were far more 'Saab' than the ACC panel - although the ACC panel does impress passengers when lite up at night like an aircraft control console!

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
Originally posted by lion:
[qb]has anyone been sent a free oil and filter change mailing from SAAB?[/qb][/b]
Yes, booked it and did it. Nice freebie. Viking Saab at Watford did it for me. My usual dealer, Squire Furneaux in dunstable are not a "participating dealer".
I got Viking to do the wheel alignment for me while I was there and was quite impressed with them. Then I found and fixed the original problem (loose hub nut), so the wheel alignment is wrong again and I'm taking it back on thursday for another one. They were quite happy to set it to exactly the figure I wanted and also to note the original setting for me as well.

I might try to blag a drive in a 9-3 SS while I'm waiting, as they left some brochures in the car after the oil change, so they must be keen to sell me one.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
For In-cabin temp sensor, probably easiest to swap out unit with a known good one from a mates 9000, and see if any change is noted.

Hard to check out ACC unit, other than to do 'recalibration and self test'. Instructions are in the heater section of the 9000 Manual.

If any one of 5 test areas is fauly, a fault code will appear in the window of the ACC display. NB: But if no fault code appears, it doesn't not necessarily mean the unit is not faulty, as the self test only checks the 5 key sensors are working properly.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Paul this could be slightly good news (ish)

The ACC unit passes all its calibration tests and reports no faults, so I am moving more towards the theory of a duff sensor - are they an expensive item????

cheers

·
Registered
413 Posts
You may know this but........ the cabin temp. sensor unit has a small motor and 'fan' which draws air in. First check is to make sure that the motor / fan is spinning. I don't actualy know what the symptoms would be if it isn't though.
They can also get bunged up with fluff.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Was fluffy - but I had already cleaned it when the fault first appeared and still no luck.

When the car goes into Reading Saab tomorrow for an oil and filter change (free!!!) I may get them to test for a faulty component, and if not too expensive I will by and replace myself.

Will let you know

1 - 9 of 9 Posts