Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The matrix replacement on the 9000 with ACC is a 'do-it-yourself' job. This does depend, however on how good at diy you are.
You do NOT need to drain the AC gas.
It is fiddley, frustrating and time consuming; probably worth allowing having the car off the road for a couple of days. It won't take that long necessarily but you need frequent time out for back massages and banging your head on a wall.

The work is all done from engine-bay side ( referring here to a 1992 car; I think some earlier, 1988ish? may require access from inside car but not sure on that ).

The matrix simply slides out to access it though, you need to remove the heater blower unit. To remove the heater blower unit, you need to move ( not remove )with extreme care, that big air con. thing. There are several other items that need moving / removing but these are not difficult.
With a methodical and careful approach to doing the job it can actualy be fun..

Spend lots of time digesting all the info on the Quasimotors and Townsend sites on the subject then remove some of the access panels on the car to have a good look at what and where the parts are before you commit to doing the job. Get a quote from a Saab garage for doing the job. This will give you encouragement to d.i.y.
NOTE 1 Replacing the clip that holds the air flap cable is nigh on impossible. I left mine off and it's been ok for a couple of years.
NOTE 2 The matrix changed about 1991/1992. The later one has the coolant pipes directly connected to it. The earlier one had a plug in plastic manifold. Very difficult to see what you have until half way through the job. I converted mine from later to earlier type for diverse reasons. Not recommended

·
Registered
155 Posts
I have been reading all posts on this topic and yours is encouraging. Thank you.

According to a European parts distributor here, some 9000s had 16mm and some 22 mm pipes. I think 22mm is 1996 onwards??

It won't be for a few weeks yet, but I feel sure I will have to brag when I have done the job!!

Ian Buckley

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Yes, I'd agree that it was a fairly easy job for an average DIY enthusiast with spare time and tenacity. Took me 4 hrs elapsed time including tea breaks and back massages. Saab Main Dealers recon on 2hrs if I recollect correctly.

I had to take bonnet off to remove one of the parts (can't recollect if it was wiper motor or heater blower unit). Easy to do if you have a spare person to hand.

Note:
The black plastic cover to the heater matrix pulls outwards to gain access to the heater matrix. BUT don't forget to slide a blade or screwdriver into the locking lugs on each side of the plastic box, or it will never come off!!

The Haynes manual procedure was very good, except it didn't mention bonnet removal.. but I couldn't find any other way to do the job.

2 Stroke to Turbo once told me that they 'drop the engine' to fascilitate removal of the heater matrix assembly, but I disconnected part of the throttle instead!

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ian and Paul, and all;
I didn't have to remove the bonnet or any of the fuel/throttle system but mine doesn't have a turbo so that may make a difference.

The change of matrix type was 1992.My car is made 1991 but a 1992 model which helped towards me buying the wrong matrix. I was given a 'plug in manifold' though so used what I had. Just needed to shorten/reroute the hoses. They fitted, so no change in pipe diameter at that time. If you have/use the later type matrix it has no manifold.

Have fun.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Harvey,

Glad to hear you had less hassle than I did!
I should have mentioned my car was a 1994 2L ECo model. I suspect someone can do the job with bonnet intact, but then they will be better at Chinese puzzles than I am!

Also, as I had an A/C unit onboard, it is a bit of a pain to shift over. Connecting pipes need to be lifted ourt of there tracking clips and once the A/C unit is loosened from it's fixing, needs shifting as far over to the nearside of the vehicle as it can go - in order to free up enough space to remove the Heater Matrix cover and unit.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes Paul,
It's the aircon unit that causes the hassle; if there's no air-con the job is probably quite easy. It's getting the blower unit past the air-con that's the trouble: two people needed........just putting this in for anyone else who needs to do it, or want's to just for the fun....

·
Registered
142 Posts
I had also had a few problems refixing the clip on the actuator rod, but found a useful trick by tieing a thread to it and looping around the rod - didn't make fixing it any easier, but didn't half make retrieving the dropped clip easier!

Steve

1 - 7 of 7 Posts