Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just been trying to replace the resistor pack for my heater fan motor. I have followed the instructions as given on quaismotor's website.

I had no problem taking the false bulkhead off and getting to where the unit should be according to the picture (http://www.quasimotors.com/fan_ctllr_location.htm) but there is nothing there apart from a cover.

Car is a 1991 9K XS with basic air conditioning system.

Any suggestions about where to look for the resistor pack unit would be gratefully received

·
Registered
152 Posts
Car is a 1991 9K XS with basic air conditioning system.[/b]
That is why you cannot find it, the ACC (like quasi's has a different system). You are looking for a rectangular white fitting in the side of the blower housing like this http://www.thesaabsite.com/images/Fan_Speed_resistor.jpg
It's usually the thermal fuse that has blown. It looks like a small silver torpedo with a black tip. The colour indicates the temperature. Replacements are available from Maplins for a few pence. Crimp the replacement in place, do not solder.
Alternativly you can buy the complete unit for £40-60 if I remember correctly.

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
Gordon,

The answer to your question is yes- it sits on the right of the blower unit, orientated vertically- but you've probably sussed that by now.

If your fan works on 4 (full) but no other settings, it's almost certainly the thermal fuse.

Mark

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the help guys. I have found the part now. When I had a look to get the resistor details last night, found that one of the thin (I assume resistance) wires had gone. To be on the safe side I am putting a new unit in.

Once I have done this I will have no more excuses to be shouting at the wife when trying to hold a normal conversation or having to turn the radio up to drown out the fan noise.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hi folks,

Heater fan only works on #4 so I'm exploring the "blown thermal resistor" procedure. car is 97MY CS and has AC (not ACC). But I'm having trouble locating the resistor. Have removed aquarium cover and there's nothing I can see on the outside of the housing. Do I have to take the fan housing apart or is the pack only visible below the false bulkhead?

NB all looks the same as in DrD's picture above

Thanx in advance,

geoff

·
Registered
161 Posts
As I said in answer to another query, I replaced my blown thermal link with a higher temperature rated unit purchased from Maplin.
I fitted a 128 degree link and has been no problem since.
Could not get a soldering iron to the car, so just crimped it in, and is working perfectly.

·
Registered
33 Posts
alanrp123 - I saw your message and noted the 128 deg fuse. Glad it worked for you!

I've already got (actually two) 110 deg fuses from Maplin (amazing next day service
) It's precise directions to the location of the fuse/resistor pack that I need! and as I said above...once the aquarium cover is off do I just keep going below the false bulkhead?

All help appreciated.

Geoff

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
The pack is plugged into the nearside end of the fan enclosure (the fan enclosure being in the centre of the 'aquarium').
In place all you can see is the wiring going to the pack, the resistance coils and thermal fuse is hidden inside the fan housing (getting cooled by the passage of air). You need to unlatch the pack and pull it out of the housing.
HTH

Nick.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Cheers Nick!
It took me a while to see where the resistor pack slots into the housing. But have now crimped a new fuse in place and all four fan speeds are available. Beats spending £60 on a new pack etc!

Thanks again everyone.

Final thought - why would the fuse blow in the first place (and without curing an underlying fault, isn't it likely to go again?)

Geoff

·
Registered
48 Posts
Well thanks for all the help as a new Saab 9000 owner finding this site was great - i changed teh thermal fuse and it blew within two weeks so i am off to get teh 128 deg version to see if that lasts any longer.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts