Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 9000 cse k reg the other day the blower started to run very erratically now it has stopped and i am getting a trickle of warm / hot air on all settings . ive run the diagnostics and it shows no faults , checked under the rain cover at the bulkhead and the arm is moving dependant on temperature selected so seems ok then driving down the motorway yesterdy it started to work on the lo setting and nice chilled air worked until i stopped and when i restarted it hasnt worked since any ideas thanks sandy

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
another piece of info when it is in auto mode and i press the fan speed dwitches it goes to the bottom one and no matter what you do it stays on the bottom press auto and the middle light comes on dont know if that helps

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
Originally posted by sandyt:
[qb]sounds daft but seems to run better going round right hand bends ie roundabouts[/qb][/b]
It may indeed sound daft, but that's a classic symptom of a dead or dying blower motor so you've found your problem. Next problem is replacing it, as it's regarded as being quite a tricky job on cars with air con (the air con. stuff limits access to the motor).

Quasi's site has a procedure for replacing the blower motor and heater matrix (they call it a "heater core" in the US). If you do one, I'd strongly recommend doing the other at the same time as they both require the same level of dismantling to replace them and the heater matrix is another known failure point on the 9000. A new heater matrix can be had for around £50 (perhaps plus VAT).

·
Registered
243 Posts
A couple of small points from someone who has done that 3 times (don't ask). The link BillJ referred to is very complete. I would just add to be carefull of the retaining clips that hold the blower housing to the firewall. They can be brittle and break off easily. Trust me. I broke the clips off of 2 different housings and had to manufacture replacements. Also I replace my blower with another from a parts car I have and for some reason even though the connector plugs fit together with the wire colors matching, for some reason the blower rotated in reverse. I, of course, discovered this tidbit after reassembling everything. I couldn't figure out why my fan was putting out very little air because I know I did everthing right. On a whim I took the blower out again and reversed the wires - black to green and green to black. It worked. Go figure.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts