Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do SAAB do Heated washer jets as per BMW Volvo. My local SAAB dealer says no. All SAAB do apparently is the heated water version. This is where the tube from the washer bottle is diverted to a coil in the top hose.

I did this on a previous 900. Next to useless, and no good on a day like today. What do they do in Sweden in -20c etc.

Any other news or ideas.

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
Originally posted by max:
[qb]What do they do in Sweden in -20c etc.[/qb][/b]
As far as I know they use a washer fluid additive to stop it from freezing and in fact use the stuff neat in really cold weather. This has the advantage that it doesn't freeze when it hits a cold screen like warm water will.

·
Registered
125 Posts
If we use hot water to wash dishes, hot water to wash cars and hot water in baths , why not hot water to wash the windscreen? Get rid of the oily film.

I made my own heat exchanger by coiling a 10m length of washer tube around the top hose.
To be honest, I am not sure of the benefits since I have forgotten what it used to be like cold!

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
Originally posted by andrew hume:
[qb]If we use hot water to wash dishes, hot water to wash cars and hot water in baths ,  why not hot water to wash the windscreen? Get rid of the oily film.[/qb][/b]
I think the other thing the above have in common is soap or detergent. To my mind, it's that which will get rid of the oily film.

·
Registered
548 Posts
I just got back from a week in Minnesota USA and it was an uncomfortable -5 to -30, and people use neat washer fluid until around -20 below which there is nothing liquid on the road to smear-up your windscreen, so you never use w/washers in real hard winter as alll H2O has gone hard...

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks all,

I tend to put a high soluion of screenwash with the water. However the jets still freeze over. The tubes etc are ok. It is just the washer jet.
If the jet was heated it would also melt (assume) any ice that may form over the jet. Even if the washers are not used

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
Originally posted by max:
[qb]Do SAAB do Heated washer jets as per BMW Volvo. My local SAAB dealer says no. All SAAB do apparently is the heated water version. This is where the tube from the washer bottle is diverted to a coil in the top hose.

I did this on a previous 900. Next to useless, and no good on a day like today. What do they do in Sweden in -20c etc.

Any other news or ideas. [/qb][/b]
I've got the hot wash kit on my Aero, and only use the recommended Saab washer fluid, and with approx a 30% mix of that with water it was working a treat this morning at -3 deg.
I find the hot wash kit makes a real difference to the screen cleaning....

·
Registered
430 Posts
I have a hot wash kit and use a high concentrate washer fluid, practically neat at this time of year. It's fine most of the time but rarely the nozzles still crust over due to wind chill.As has been mentioned already , if it's really cold then it's not a problem because there's no spray, but even up here it's not that cold that often

Has anyone ever considered making a little fairing for them to keep that nasty cold wind off.

Or maybe I should get my mother to crochet little woollen bonnets for them.

or how about fitting a bulb holder underneath them and using the heat from the bulb to keep them thawed?

·
Registered
341 Posts
Yeah I have the same problem, I guess using an additive of some sort is bound to change the freezing point of whats in the washer bottle so that should definitly help. How much it lowers the freezing point by... it all depends.

However getting the water onto the windscreen is only half my problem. I find my windscreen wipers tend to totally freeze up and become useless as they skate across the windscreen.

Roll on the summer!

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
I find that 50% water, 25% Halfords screenwash additive (big blue bottle) and 25% meths stays liquid down to -10C. It can be difficult buying large quantities of meths as the shops get suspicious! If it gets colder, use less water and more meths. The advantage of the heated jets is that when dew forms on the car, it then freezes in/over the jets, when the bottle and lines are still liquid, so the heated jets thaw the frozen dew.

You may be able to find a heated jet from another car that fits the same holes in the bonnet, if you can be bothered.

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
I find my windscreen wipers tend to totally freeze up and become useless as they skate across the windscreen.[/b]
It's a good idea to smear a small amount of vaseline on all the articulation points on the wiper blades - part of the problem is that they freeze up & don't move to the changing shape of the screen as they go across. Putting the vaseline on keeps the joints supple
, but make sure you wipe off the surplus and keep it off the screen.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Does anyone recommend using any form of window polish/glass treatment on the inside/outside?

At the moment I am using 50% water 50% halfords screenwash concentrate. The good thing is that it is bright green so if there is a leak I can tell what it is!

Mark

·
Registered
393 Posts
Two not-very-helpful comments...

1. I keep my car in the garage and never have frozen jets in the morning!

2. black&whitesaab above suggested fairings to keep the wind off. Well, my Grandfather's Fr0d Scorpio had the jets below the top edge of the bonnet, along with the wipers, so they were well out of the way of the wind. Nice one Fr0d!!!

cheers,
Ben.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Originally posted by BenH:
[qb]Well, my Grandfather's Fr0d Scorpio had the jets below the top edge of the bonnet, along with the wipers, so they were well out of the way of the wind. Nice one Fr0d!!!
[/qb][/b]
And also well out of the way of any pedestrians unlucky enough to be in an accident. I don't understand why more cars aren't designed that way.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Yeah on a similar note... been meaning to ask this for ages... did Saab ever offer an electrically heated front screen? I am really surprised that car in that bracket, with what seems like most toys and options, doesn't have one.

They were even quite common on the Ford Sierra for heaven's sake!

I keep thinking how handy one would be on these cold mornings.

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
Don't think Saab have ever done so. I believe it was very much a Ford thing (patented?) so that's why even lowly 'Festers' can have them. Plus of course, with Ford ownership, now fitted in Jags and Astons. Not sure about Volvos, but you would think so as well.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I heard that Mercedes tried this one out and found that the testers (normal folk I think) did not like the sight of the heating elements. Maybe SAAB are thinking along the same lines?

As far as I can recall, I could see the elements in the front screen of mondeos. Is that right?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts