Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
623 Posts
The fuse box should have written on it what each fuse is for.

Anyway, it's not usual for the fuse to fail. The more occurrent fail in the heated seats is the thin wire running across the seat cushion and the backrest. There's a point, in the cushion, where the wire usually brakes. It's the corner near the backrest, on the door side (it's the point where ther's more stress while getting in and out of the car).
If this is the fail, you have to resolder the wire, after having taken apart the seat. I did it on my car twice, th first time it took me 3 hours, the second one and half. I think I could do it again in no more than an hour.

But let's hope it's just the fuse, anyway. My '87 fuse box is different than yours (I believe) so I cna't tell you the number.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Stefano, I am going mad - of course the fuses are numbered and referenced. Sometimes forget that I am driving a Saab!

It seems that neither seats work & I have checked the fuse! Perhaps my temperature sensor has gone wrong as it can't be anything else, surely?

·
Registered
16,524 Posts
Just checking to make sure...

and hoping I'm not teaching grandma to suck eggs here

but you were sitting in the passenger seat when you checked it? It only heats when the seat is occupied.

·
Registered
3,172 Posts
Perhaps my temperature sensor has gone wrong as it can't be anything else, surely?  [/b]
The seats are controlled individualy by there own temp switch,the control is in the switch itself so for both n/s and o/s switches to fail at the same time is doubtfull

·
Registered
623 Posts
 Stefano, I am going mad - of course the fuses are numbered and referenced. Sometimes forget that I am driving a Saab!

It seems that neither seats work & I have checked the fuse! Perhaps my temperature sensor has gone wrong as it can't be anything else, surely?
 [/b]
No problem Jez!
I don't believe that the problem is in the temp sensor, because there's one for each seat and it's nearly impossible that two fiable item like those can fail at the same time.
Again, are you sure that they failed at the same time? are you sure that the pass side don't work?

Did you checked the connectors behind the switches? if you or somebody else did some mess behind the dash (replaced dash lights? messed with air cabin sensor?...) could have disconnected the wirings. Just a thought.

Let me know how it goes.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Oh, my @rse sensor has now computed that the passenger seat works and the drivers does not.

Garage time, me thinks. Building up a list now, including heater matrix (£££) & belt tensioner.

·
Registered
3,172 Posts
Jez as a cheap diagnosis,try swopping the switches to eliminate a faulty switch!If it works with the other switch you know it's just a new switch required,saving yourself the cost of diagnosis

·
Registered
623 Posts
Good idea, Saabman. If the switch is the culprit, then go to a salvage yard to pick one up. Probably it won't light up, since those little bulbs last just a few, but it's probable that it will work, since it isn't a common failure item. Any switch from a post 87 should work, since they're all the same. I believe that a switch is more than 60 euros from the dealer, doing the seat wire job is longer but much more cheaper...

Let us know, I'm curious!

·
Registered
623 Posts
The best way to pull away the switches is to pull away the ACC unit, that comes out just taking away the ashtray, then crawling the hand "in" the dash and pushing out the ACC unit from behind. Remove the connector behind it and put the ACC in a safe place. Then put your hand in the ACC hole and push out the two sensors form behind.
You have to use no force, couplings between switches and dash are very weack. they should come out easily.

Hope I've been clear. This applies only if RHD cars have seat heater switches at the side of the ACC, like all LHD have.

Good luck.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts