Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just joined Saabscene and am enjoying reading all the forum messages.
The drivers heated seat on my 9000 Aero is not working. I checked the price of a new element with the dealer (£150) however they said that they very rarily go and it may be just be a relay.
I can find the relay for the passeger seat but not the drivers. Can anybody help?

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
It is usually a broken element which is pretty easy to fix. You just remove the seat, unclip the hooks that hold the squab leather, lift it up then look for the burnt bit.

Once you've found the burnt bit, scrape away the foam, clean it up and resolder.

I'm surprised they said it rarely goes, the seats in both my Saab's have failed, one twice and i've also had 2 seat switch failures.

You may find this useful:-
http://quasimotors.com/heated_seat_repair.htm

David.

·
Registered
69 Posts
hi there Areo-dynamic the same happend to my seats 9000cse and it turned out to be a broken wire all i did in the end was to take the seat out unclip the seat cover find the broken part and solder it back together cover with a peice of insulating tape put the wire back in its original place reclip the seat cover back in place and hey presto warm bum!

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
The one easy thing you can try before spending time dismantling the seat is to pop an ohmmeter across the yellow and black pair on the seat connector or at the connector behind the seat heater switch.

The resistance should be about 0.2 ohms. Obviously if this is correct then it's not a broken element.

One of my switches failed in an open state, the other in a closed state and I didn't notice the latter until I drove the car on the Monday morning when I drove it for longer than 10 mins. I was the guy driving through a frosty Reading town centre with the windows open and I was literally sweating because the thermostat wasn't turning the seat off. When I arrived at my destination I had to unplug the switch and then spent some weeks with the switch dangling out of the dashboard so that I could manually operate the heater.

David.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Yeah - I was all set to fix the pad but one of the wires that was being bent back and forth with seat movement had broken.
Certainly wasnt obvious as the break was still quite buried so take your time and step through as many checks as you can.
(If the actual pad itself has gone, there should be some charring evidence on it)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.