Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

41 - 43 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello all. Just done my C900 2 door saloon with mixed results. The headlining looked very poor before I started and whilst it does not look 'showroom fresh' now it does at least look better. Thought I would add a few lessons learned.

Car used - 1990 2 C900 2 door Saloon Non Aero T16;

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/Z-i2e...feat=directlink

1, Sounds simple but make sure you have PLENTY of room to manoeuvre. And the room is clean.

2, Remove all roof 'furniture' and place in a container, don't leave them rattling around the car as you will lose them in a crevice somewhere (rear offside seatbelt bolt is still rattling around under the back seat) Mirror can be fiddly if you have the light behind it. You will need to take the clear plastic cover off the light, remove the torx bolt from here and then disconnect the connections underneath.

3, The only way (I think) to remove the headlining from a 2 door saloon is through the boot. This means that you will have to loosen the lining, then move both front seats forward and push it out of the boot.

4, If you have 2 cans of glue then use it all, don't be sparing with it.

5, The C pillars are a right fekking nightmare to remove the old material as the mouldings will be invariably goosed. So be careful when pulling it off as the underlying hard stuff may have stuck to the material and will result in the moulding cracking and falling apart.

6, You need to remove all the old material from the headlining i started with an assortment of tools, utensils and cutlery to do this. In the end I used a Plastic Ice Scraper for the big bits and a small white plastic spoon for the fiddly bits. On reflection, I would not use the Ice Scraper again as it caught the fibre of the board in several locations causing it to gouge it, not good and will require filling the next time.

7, I also used a Black and Decker hand held mouse for the finish. There are a good few pads that you can get for the mouse. I used one the looked like a plastic kitchen scourer. I think it's intended porpoise was for metal polishing. Did the job well and got into the detail areas well.

8, Take your time over the C pillars, mine now look like poo and I aint happy with them and so I will be re-doing them at some point. The bottom most 'spur' of both the cards broke due to their fragility and will require replacement now. I guess that the best way to do this is cut the material close enough to the actual shape of the C pillar to ensure that there is not a huge amount of material to deal with. I did not do this and so I ended up wresting with a large amount of material in proportion to the moulding. not good. Take your time and make sure you have enough material to play around with.

9, Lay out the headlining. I put mine on a door resting on a couple of trellises. did the job OK. make sure the material is square to the headlining as I did not and was left with about 12 inches of material on one side and about 2MM on the other. Again, use plenty of glue and spray on both surfaces. Let it dry for a minute or so before you present the glued surfaces. I would do this about 10 inches at a time ensuring that you leave enough 'slack' in the material to get in all the pre-formed shapes on the headlining.

10, Cut of the excess material around the edges leaving enough material to stick about 2 inches on the other side. Glue the edges down and use a Staple gun to tuck in the messy bits and also to add some strength around the edge of the card. You can get a cheap staple gun from Poundstretcher or such shops.

11, Make ikkle cuts there the roof furniture will go, dont try to cut the exact shape just make a little cut big enough to poke a finger through.

12, Replace the C pillars, swearing all the time at your misfortune for cocking them up and already planning your replacement.

13, Fumble the Seatbelt bolts and drop them behind the back seat, ensuring that they drop all the way down to the lowest point possible ensuring that your ham fists cannot reach them therefore rendering your rear seats useless and cutting your fingers in the process. Repeat swearing from step 12.

14, Pick up newly lined headlining and offer up to the boot. Gently push the headlining through the hole and rest it about halfway in. Go to the back of the car and lift and push the headlining the rest of the way in.

15, Look, with horror and rage at the blood now smeared across your new headlining as a result of bleeding fingers detailed in step 13. Curse loudly and bemoan your misfortune and rage at the fickle Gods of Automotive DIY (bet he is on GM's payroll anyway the [email protected])

16, Wedge Headlining on top of the C pillars and move to repeat with the A Pillars. Be careful as it is easy to damage the headlining at this point trying to wedge it atop the A Pillars. Replace the grabrails (or whatever they are called) as this will take the pressure off the A pillars and then work backwards to ensure it is secure.

17, Done, now try to reconcile your mixed feelings about the job you have done and wonder whether it would have been better just tp pay someone else to do it...

·
Registered
11 Posts
I've just finished re-trimming my 2 door headlining so thought I would post some points to note if you are thinking of giving it a go.

First of all, make sure you follow the really good photo based guide on the paradise saab webpage, makes life much easier.

The roof card passes through the boot comfortably but only if the parcel shelf is removed. I used a reasonably stiff nylon brush and kitchen spatulas to remove the old foam. I would've liked to remove all the old glue but this could take a day in its self and the new glue seemed to adhere on top well anyway.

Top tip for fitting the card back in the roof is to use the rear window seal to hold up the card while it rests on top of the front a pillars. This let's you fit the c pillars last which means you don't have to flex the card as much.

Overall I was quite happy with the job, it took the best part of a day and a half - time very well spent in my eyes. The material is the darker from Wollies which does have blue-grey tint. The original is more likely to be the lighter grey. See pics below.

http://i418.photobucket.com/albums/pp269/i...us/c6cdac34.jpg

http://i418.photobucket.com/albums/pp269/i...us/da44cfc6.jpg

http://i418.photobucket.com/albums/pp269/i...us/52aa749c.jpg

http://i418.photobucket.com/albums/pp269/i...us/e2605869.jpg

41 - 43 of 43 Posts