Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry if this has been thrashed around before, but I can't find any other references to weak dipped beams on the CSE....has anyone solved the problem? I've fitted Phillips Vision Plus xenon bulbs (not the kiddie blue ones) which give a 50% greater output at 55W than standard halogens but they are still week & weedy.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I know what you mean about the headlights, my wifes Golf TDI lights outshine my 9000CSE. I have put in 100W bulbs and the improvement was probably only in my imagination. At least they were only £4 or so each.

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Yes Bill is correct.
My CD Carlsson and Aero have both suffered from poor dip/main beam due to the reflectors being old (six years plus) and dull.
No matter what uprated bulb is put in you will get little return. A friend had 130W main beams in his CDE which were outshone by my 55W lights with new relectors. On my Aero the lights went from being a poor second to the Transit fitments (the van being brand new) to being slightly better.
The downside is the cost, but if you're like me and keep a car for many years it's well worth it.
Nick.

·
Registered
38 Posts
These headlights are bad????

The headlights on my 96cde are one of the best things about the car they outshine my last vw golf (mk3) by miles, to the point i was considering toning them down as all the roadsigns in my local area dazzle me when my lights are on main!!

i reckon you just need 2 eat more carrots

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
Originally posted by Anton G:
[qb]The headlights on my 96cde are one of the best things about the car[/qb][/b]
Perhaps not all 6-year-old 9000 reflectors have deteriorated by the same amount, or they have been replaced before?

The headlamps on my '96 Aero are very good, as are those on my two CSEs ('95 and '96), so I'm inclined to believe that only some 9000s suffer this deterioration.

The headlamps on my '85 90 are at least as good and probably better

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I replaced the reflectors years ago when I had a 900, can't recall what the result was but I don't think it was very impressive. Might be worth trying. Does anyonbe know if just the reflectors (as opposed to the whole lamp unit) can be changed on a '94 model CSE? And if so, are they available from Hella (or who ever makes them) at a more sensible price than Saab?

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Yes, the reflectors are availible seperatly from the whole headlamp unit, but still an eyewatering price for a piece of injection moulded plastic with a bit of silvering on it...from Saab anyway.
The job is a fairly straightforward task.
Nick.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts