Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While driving along my headlights spontaneously switch to full beam, much to the irritation of Saabs (and others) going the other way. Operating the full / dip switch works sometimes, flicking the lights off is a more reliable to restore diped lights.

Anyone else seen this ? Is it more likely to be the full / dip switch, or the relay ?

Advice appreciated.

Thanks,
Chris

·
Registered
335 Posts
my previous 9k did this.. random main beam syndrome new column switch sorted it.
generally, relays inside the car (or in sealed boxes) either work of they don't once you stick volts up them, normally only external ones have problems earthing and getting full of rubbish and grime)
HTH

·
Registered
217 Posts
I got a similar problem the other day, driving a country road with full beam on, car came in opposite direction, went to switch them off and nothing happened, full beam remained on. This was the first time it ever happened, a quick flick off and on of the lights reset the beam.

Must admit the second between turning the lights off and coming back on was freeky.

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
I had the same problem on my 1987 9000 - it was an old model without full relays, and it was definitely the switch. I used to keep a few spares around, but ones that work are difficult to get hold of! I got the total change time down to 8 minutes, certainly it's pretty straightforward.

How old is your car, I might have a good spare you could try?

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
My Aero had a similar problem a few years ago where you couldn't change the state from dipped to MB or back.

In the end it turned out to be a bad connection in the switch/wiring block.

Just disconnecting and reconnecting sorted it.

Andrew

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
Originally posted by MikeLoadsaSaabs:
[qb]I had the same problem on my 1987 9000 - it was an old model without full relays, and it was definitely the switch.[/qb][/b]
I had the same problem on my '87 and I think it was just a poor contact on the connector getting hot, with the heat then being conducted into the switch. The replacement switch went the same way after a short time. Anyway, I wired in some relays to take the strain, reshaped the little nylon cam inside the switch using a soldering iron, and had no more problems.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Hey Bill! Do you have a detailed procedure for what you did, maybe with pics?? I'd be interested in maybe attempting that for one of my "back up" switches to have on hand when the one I have in it now fails. Thanks (Saab Quality at it's finest )

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.