Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am not sure if I have seen postings on this before, but here is my question....

The drivers side headlight wiper blade doesnt auto park, but I believe it wipes. Whenever I stop it points in a random direction, which doesnt look very tidy

What is the likely cause of this, and what is the solution?

many thanks.

Gavin - 97 Aero

·
Registered
435 Posts
Gavin,

My 95 CSE LPT does exactly the same. It definitely wipes but seesm to park in a random position. It won't move manually by hand either. It really bugs me cos it looks [expletive deleted].

I find if I wash/wipe again it parks normally the second time.

Neil.

·
Registered
865 Posts
from outsidecar spray wd 40 along wiper shaft in towards motor/lift bonnet and soak area of motor with same/do this on regular basis to maintain,think of the [expletive deleted] this part is subjected to,you have to look after it.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for that link, as its on a 96 Aero, it should be the same for a 97.

I will just have to clear an afternoon and pluck up some courage to start taking my car apart..... Maybe I should find a mechanically minded friend as well

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So, simply sprying WD40 (lots of?) down the wiper shaft solved the random parking problem?

Seems strange, but worth a go before I take anything else apart.

I shall try and get my hands on some soon

·
Registered
76 Posts
Yep, lots of it, then leave to soak, then a bit more etc. Brown gundge had dripped onto my drive when I got into my car this morning, which promted me to check if it had worked. So far so good. Whether it will last I don't know, but we''ll see.

·
Registered
169 Posts
There has been a post on this before. I seem to recall the advice being to dismantle and clean the contacts that signal arrival at the park position, and switch off the motor at the right moment. For this with less time and inclination, a replacement with breakers unit was the cheapest option. Flush with cash?: buy new from SAAB dealer!

·
Registered
183 Posts
Here here....

£15 for a replacement including the wiper blade from a scrapie. WD40 might work but you know it will be only temporary.

It amazes me the amount of trouble that people will go to save a few quid!! (Remember that from the not so distant past?) ;o)

·
Registered
11,343 Posts
WD40 is a good first course of action, but likewise, I do not understand the almost mammoth lengths that some people go to in order to avoid spending money. Sometimes it is actually necessary to replace a part.

Someone likened it, a few weeks ago, to having a champagne lifestyle financed by beer drinker wallet. I think that hits the nail on the thumb.

/john

·
Registered
76 Posts
Oh dear, oh dear. We do seem to be going off on one don't we? I have not made many postings but am really appreciative of the free and sensible advice given by contributors. I really mean that. Whether contributors like it or not the WD40 does seem to have done the trick so far, maybe I have acted quickly.....isn't that something fantastic and pleasing? It is for me! Contributors desires to spend money is not the point here at all, it surely is a desire to help and receive advice from people you will probably never meet. If I have to pay for new I have to pay for new, but in the meantime I don't need to drink beer because I can afford to enjoy decent wine and champagne.

·
Registered
11,343 Posts
er, what?

Who's going off where?

I said that WD40 was always a good first course of action. If it works for you, then great. It has done the trick! Well done.

My second point was reflecting on 900016Turbo's post and addressing an attitude that is reflected elsewhere on this board - where some individuals do appear to have the time to go to extreme lengths to avoid parts replacement.

If the WD40 works for you, great. Perhaps your part doesn't require replacement. Enjoy the champagne that you can now afford from saving a few quid ;-)

Good luck

/john

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.