Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello folks,

I've got a missing wiper arm on my 900 and I've bought a replacement. I was going to fit it at the weekend there but I came across a problem. It looks as though one of the previous owners ripped the old arm off to stop it scratching the glass on the headlight. By doing this they have left the fork part of the arm still attached to the stalk. The replacement arm I have comes with this part on it already. I had thought about removing the spring to dismantle this part from the replacement and using the existing one on the stalk but it looks to be much more hassle than it would be just to remove the old one. The problem is the old one doesn't want to budge. Does this part come off with some brute force or is it part of the stalk that cannot be removed? I'm concerned i'll end up damaging what is currently a working part. The service manual I have seems to suggest it can be removed but without going into detail. Just a before and after picture.

I've attached pictures to show what i'm talking about. Please note, the nut was put back on so I didn't lose it and I had removed it previously to try and remove the part.

Many thanks if you can help.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2,949 Posts
I my mind kev it seems that the thing me bob is rusted on the splines of the what's a face !
Like if you ever try to get the wiper arms off your windscreen wipers .
I know it's not right but sometimes you use the arm as leaverage, but as I can seen the arm has gone or come off
Get some good lubricant spray ( plus gas of similar ) and dose it in that, and if you have some pump pliers and gingerly pull and wiggle , to see if it gives .

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Lizzard-t,

Haha, love your terminology!! ;) . But I agree with what you're saying, had the old wiper arm been there I would've done what you suggested. But i'll give the plus gas a go, I've got a couple of cans of that kicking around somewhere. Just need to find them. Moved house recently so everything is still boxed up etc in our garage.

Thanks for the suggestion, i'll give it a go in due course and report back on how I got on.

·
Super Moderator
2,681 Posts
Kevdo,

As well as the Plus gas, WD 40 or whatever, try giving the offending part a smart tap between two hammers. This can be enough to 'shock' the grip of the corrosion that is holding it to the splines. This technique works well with track rod ends !

Paul @ Kippen.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the tip Paul. I still haven't got around to looking at it again so i'll keep that in mind when I do finally get to having another look. Cheers mate!

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi Guys, Just a quick update. Took your advice with the plus gas and gave the arm a spray a couple of days ago and left it to soak in over the last couple of days. Pauls idea gave me a thought, I used the other end of a hammer and had a few goes at prying the offending part off. Took a few attempts but it eventually came good. Put the new wiper arm on this evening and I'm really pleased with the result. Now all I need to do is try and find the sprayer hose in the engine bay if it's still attached, or order a new one and find out where it attaches to send the water to the nozzle on the arm. Any advice on that would be appreciated. Thanks for all the help fellas!!

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts