Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just bought a 95 2.0 CSE ECO. Lovely car in great nick. I've never had a Saab before but this one really does pamper the driver.
One thing though, there doesn't seem to be a warning buzzer if you accidently leave the lights on. I know this isn't really a big deal but I'd really hate to come back to a flat battery. I thought all cars have these, even my old Cavalier had it.
Is mine broken or do Saab's not have them?

·
Registered
24 Posts
You can't leave the lights on in a Saab unless you have the switch turned to sidelights only. If you have it either on headlights with flash or headlights on main beam then - left or right facing as opposed to straight up (side lights) - they will turn off with the ignition.
At least mine does.

JB

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your reply JB. I think mine must be the same - doesn't stop a plonker like me leaving my sidelights on like I did this morning though.
I guess these cars have so many gagets I'm disappointed not to see this one too.

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
You'll have to remember to get used to looking for the green 'lights - on' warning on the dash before switching off. I know it takes a while to get used to after the audible buzzer...I too was a dreaded Vauxhall driver before I got my first Saab some years ago!!

·
Registered
208 Posts
I too don't like the lack of warning but have got round that by only ever using main lights, not sidelights. It does tend to mean I forget and drive round all day with headlamps on but then who cares

More of a problem for me is leaving the radio on. First car I have owned where this is possible with the ignition off and I have already flattened the battery once by leaving it on all day.

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
Having left my sidelights on one day (arrived into work at 7:30 and didn't leave till after 5pm) and found that the engine cranked fine and started with no problems I can't say I worry about it much any more.

My Radio (Blaupunkt Dublin) will turn itself off after 1 hour with the ignition in the off position which is very very handy

·
Registered
169 Posts
I believe that in Sweden day running lights are not only mandatory, but have been shown to impact on accident rates. If you are going to leave any lights on (ie you're serious about the idea), then they should always be beams, not sidelights. To this end SAAB link the main lights to ignition. I think it's a great feature, whose only disadvantage is earlier upgrade to Xenon bulbs!

SAAB lead-acids are so large, a wee radio should have little impact, unless left at full volume, or with tape/CD running and ignition on.

Hope you get to love your SAAB as much as we do, neil 170.

·
Registered
208 Posts
about 10 hours with the CD playing fairly loud (standard Saab/Alpine unit) the battery wasn't even capable of driving the dashboard, let along the starter.

I don't think this was helped by the PO fitting a very cheap battery which I have now replaced.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Guys,
Thanks for all the advice. This really is a great website & you all seem like dedicated SAAB nuts. I've only had my 2.0 LPT CSE for a few days & already I love it so much more than my old Cavalier which I had for 4 years & never let me down once. SAAB's just make you feel really good & my 7 year old looks & drives like new.
By the way I floored the throttle on my humble 150bhp example & the thing was still accelerating strongly at 100mph - certainly beats the 89hp I had in my 1.8 Cav.
Do you really need to pump it up in the BHP department?

·
Registered
5,925 Posts
neil170 - "Do you really need to pump it up in the BHP department? " Don't start us off on that one! ;-)

See "ECU upgrade" and "Wooshing Dump Valve" threads for more.

I had an older 9000 CS 2.0 LPT, and the acceleration was impressive, though I had driven a Full Pressure Turbo (900 T8v) and knew what I was missing.

It is sooooo nice to be able to pull away from almost anything with not a lot of effort! :))

Kevin Mc
9000 Carlsson 2.3T (220 BHP)

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
In line with PVA's comments, etc, Saabs actually do not have 'Side Lights' (although we all call them that. Officially (Ref Handbook) they are 'Parking Lights' and the manual states: "Parking lights should only be used when the car is stationary".

Remember - Saabs are designed for safety.. although I must admit I do drive with 'Parking Lights' on in certain light conditions, instead of headlights as is proper!

·
Registered
11,343 Posts
I suggest to you that they are actually DRLs. Daytime Running Lights. This is what they are when the vehicle is moving and the light used to be at a brighter intensity than when they were stationery (parking lights)

DRLs were common to SE and UK (other markets too?) on 99 and classic 900 models until about 1984.

Later on, if you placed the fuse in the DRL socket you would also get "dim-dip" headlamps in conjunction with DRLs. Something to do with construction and use regs at the time, I believe.

Studies of truck drivers in Canada have shown DRLs to be highly effective in reducing the number of crashes involving the vehicles in the study.

When I was in the Netherlands last year, many people used headlights during the day. I understand our Govt is or has been considering it also.

My view is that it is effective in increasing safety on the roads. I drive a Platana Grey 900. My last 900 was silver. No one sees me on dull mornings unless I have the DRLs/dim-dip on.

/john

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
I don't think you'd want a buzzer on the side lights, as the only time you would EVER use then is when you were to leave your precious Saab unattemded on an un-lite road.

All other times you wuld be using the off position (with fuse 31 fitted for DRL's, or full headlights).

I haven't yet worked out why those peeps you see driving round with just sidelights on do so? Anyway, Saab DRL's are brighter than sidelights.

Andrew
hasn't switched his headlights off for 6.5 years on the CS Aero

·
Registered
183 Posts
I drive with just sidelights on though the Town lights come on as well with the ignition in the normal running state. Why?

Daylght fails gradually over anything up to about 30 minutes. I don't see a reason for going from nothing to dipped beam.

Town lights are designed for use in towns hence their name. Try the following yourselves....

Next time dusk approaches & all the cars coming in the opposite direction have their dipped beams on, look at what detail you can ACTUALLY see. Could you make out pedestrians? Possibly! Now then. When you see a car that has no/side/town lights on, look at the pedestrians. See how clearly you can see them? Much better. In a town I prefer to see what I'm approaching & not a lot of blinding lights. Don't think I'm anti dipped beams (unless they're set to high) I'm not. I just don't see the point in the attitude of "well it's slightly darker than daylight & I have lights so I'm going to throw all mine on". Why people want to use front fog lights on a clear evening/night is beyond me too.

Yes Saabs are designed to be safe but this is taking it to the Nth degree. As a driver it's about seeing as well as being seen. Like all things there's a compromise & town lights are exactly that.

Just whilst we're on the subject of lights, isn't it totally amazing the number of cars that are on our roads that don't have a handbrake as standard? Why can't people use them if they do have them when there's a car behind them? Nah... I'll sit here & burn out the retinas of the driver behind me. Thanks buddy!!!

·
Registered
11,343 Posts
900016Turbo, I am in agreement with the majority of what you say.

Most drivers appear to be unable to see me with DRLs and dim-dip headlights during daylight hours - I had a woman pull out into my lane as I was travelling past her - no indication and she certainly didn't see me. If you thing that people should extinguish their lights, then think again, if drivers can not see cars, they certainly will not see pedestrians.

I agree, however, it is unnecessary and wrong to use foglamps when it is not foggy.

I also agree with you on the brakelights at junctions. This is indicative of the general lack of attention and slack attitude that the populous has towards driving, and this inconsideration for other road users.

Cheers
/john

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
900016Turbo,
I assume by your use of words that you are in the US. I can assure you that all cars here do have handbrakes but people's use of them is another matter. I see loads of people sitting at traffic lights rocking back and forward on the clutch. When my last 9000 was written off when it was rammed from behind by a LHB Land Rover, I was stationary with the handbrake on. Good job too or we would have been pushed into the oncoming traffic!
I also agree about headlights being overbright in town especially in dusk conditions. I believe that the old type of daylight runing lights on 99s and classic 900s were far better for all conditions. Not to bright to caus dazzle but bright enough to be easily seen and most importantly a point source light that is not directional and can be seen from most angles.

·
Registered
183 Posts
John said:

<Snip>
If you thing that people should extinguish their lights, then think again, if drivers can not see cars, they certainly will not see pedestrians.
<End>

Not at all. Lights need to be used from dusk to dawn. My point was more to do with seeing as opposed to being seen. The brighter the lights coming toward you the less peripheral detail the eye is capable to absorb. Have a look next time it's dusk & you're out. You can see LOADS more when there's no cars coming towards you with lights that "blind" you. Point taken though it's also about being seen.

<Snip>
I had a woman pull out into my lane as I was travelling past her - no indication and she certainly didn't see me.
<End>

I dare say she was rumidging around inside her makeup purse. Funny really. Women are much better able to multi-task than us men. Unless they're behind the wheel that is!!

Sorry ladies!

Derek said:

<Snip>
I assume by your use of words that you are in the US.
<End>

No I'm in England Derek. Do I come across as an American? lol

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Just a minor clarification of some of the terms used for the 9000 side lights:

For markets with the the fuse fitted as standard, the side lights are technically 'Day Running Lights' (DRL). This is a legal requirement in Sweden/Scandinavia (largely due to the fact that parts of the country can be in twilight for 6 months of the year!). (Similarly, some of us use Parking Lights during twilight conditions in the UK).

For markets without the fuse fitted (e.g. UK), they are technically defined as 'Parking Lights'. Hence the Saab handbook recommendation only to use for parking purposes. (Seems like some of the Scandinavian market features were retained for cars sold in the UK on older models, e.g. 99, 900, etc.)

Of course, we can convert them from Parking Lights to DRL by adding the fuse if need be.

·
Registered
16,524 Posts
It may be an 'Urban Myth' but when V**v* first introduced the 'always on' lights, I seem to remember a car mag saying that they were made compulsory in Sweden as an aid to police in catching speeding motorists rather than as a safety feature.

With a big country, low speed limit and little traffic, drivers who wanted to get there quickly and avoid the chopper coppers, took to driving in the perennial twilight with their lights off!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts