Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Weird, front n/s headlamp won't work. I have taken the lamp out and when out of the housing it works. replace it the headlamp unit and it works. leeave in switched off mode for five minutes and it will not work. whilst I was putting the lamp back in( energized) every now and again I head what seem like a pump running for a second. this sound appeared every time I moved the cable.
Ay one come across this before or got any ideas. lamp seems to be in good condition

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well I thought it could be relay chatter, but the sound seems to come from below the headlamp or around the washer resevoir, maybe I am wrong and the sound from the relay box is transmiting around.
The head lamp needed no grounding, unlike the Haynes manual diagram, mine headlamp has three wires going to it, I presume one is ground. There again I had some doubts for a while now. would an 89 9000i have dipped beam when the side lights are on. I have taken the headlights for granted and cannot remember if they should be.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Hi Phillipe,

Have you had a close look at the state of wires to the headlamps? I had an intermittent headlamp fault (on both sides over about 9 months) which was due to the live (yellow on my car)wire to the bulb chafing on the back of the reflector. The insulation had gone brown and lost it's flexibility at this point due to the strands of the cable slowly getting broken, and carrying more current and getting hotter. Eventually all the wire strands had broken, such that when you fiddled with it, it could make contact and illuminate.

Conveniently, there was enough slack in the length of the cable to cut it back and crimp on a new terminal, which has to date solved things. One day I'll make up some new wires to the headlamps, but there just seems to be so many exciting things to do...

Cheers
John P

·
Registered
388 Posts
On the subject of headlamps.....
I have an intermittent problem with the high beams on my 95 9000 CD. Most of the time they work perfect (Vision pluses on the dip and 100w bulbs on the high). Could the bulbs be drawing too much through the relay or anyhting like that. Often they will not engage the high beam for a couple of minutes and then they return to normal action.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Hi Dave,

I've never used high powered bulbs, but from a electronic engineer's background, I'd doubt that the relay will be hurt by the extra current. The reasoning behind that is that you set the fuse value at a level that is normal running plus a bit of margin, and then make sure everything after has a rating in excess of the fuse.

It could be a sticky relay, or an intermittent contact to the relay coil, such as a frayed wire from the switch on the stalk, or just muck in the contacts. Have you tried attacking it with a DVM yet?

Cheers
John P

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.