Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Problems indeed!
My headlights refused to come on after I'd started the car ('93 CD). I left the engine running, the light-switch to the headlights-on position and opened the bonnet. I opened the lighting relay/fuse box and just touched the big red controller box and, as I heard the crackle of a re-made contact, the headlights came on. I replaced the plastic cover (which seemed to touch the controller) and the lights went out. I took off the cover, and barely touched the red controller again. LET THERE BE LIGHT!! And there was!
How do I go about solving the poor controller/relay contacts? How to get to them? All I have to do is squeeze the contacts a little tighter, but how to get to the bl**dy things?
Can anyone help??
Many thanks,
Steve
PS. Would adding a thickness of solder to the controller legs be of any use, do you think? Or are the wires to the contacts faulty? How do I find out?

·
Registered
179 Posts
There was another thread earlier this year suggesting that a common failure mode for the double (red) relay is cracked solder around the legs of the physical relay inside the package. Guidance was given on getting into the package and soldering them.

The fault you describe would be consistent with this. Or, I guess it could just be dirty pins on the relay base.

HTH,
Chris

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Chris,
Had a look inside the BIG red relay. It is as you describe, a broken solder joint. I can't fix it today, but it is definitely a Monday evening job. Hope the lights don't blink-out on me tomorrow morning (0645hrs).
Many thanks,
Steve

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.