Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read a few rave reveiws about the Phillips light bulbs that offer up to 30% more light than standard ones.
I want to give them a try - early winter nights,Xmas m/way trips to see family etc..
Has anyone tried them ?
Also what bulbs will I need ('97 Aero) as the Saab manual shows H1 type, and how many (i.e. 2 or 4). Are they just for headlights (what about full beams) ?
Thanks.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I've been told at my garage that SAAB 9000 have very poor headlights and have been sugested to make a mod in low and high beams that will give a 100% increase in light intensity, feed bulbs straight from battery. I will try to spot a diagram and will tell here.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
The answer is to fit two relays, one for dip and one for main beam. Activate the relays from the dip switch and wire a heavy duty feed to them from the battery via an appropriate fuse. Wire the relays to the lights using similar heavy duty wire, not forgetting to upgrade the earth wiring as well. There is a good article on this at
http://lighting.mbz.org/

·
Registered
600 Posts
I've fitted the 30% brighter blue bulbs and yes they are better.

97 Aero has seperate dip and main beam, I would only bother fitting the dipped beams as when you have main beams on aswell they should be good enough

G

·
I use the brighter white bulbs from Halfords - they come in a black and silver package. Very good - something like 30% more light aswell. They costs £9.99 each as opposed to £4.99 for normal H4 bulbs.

I don't rate the blue ones - bit of a fashion thing those, I feel?

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
I've 4 H1 halford 30% brighter ones in the Aero, and a pair of 100/80 H4's and a pair of 100w H3 in the Carlsson.

Essential upgrades

Still not as good as the 140/100's I used to run in the 99T.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
The 30% brighter bulbs are normally marked as Xenon (pronounced Zenon). Xenon is the inert gass with which the bulb is filled.

Prices are comming down and have just seen a pair of H4 Xenons at a local car parts suppliers for £11 a pair (boxed).

·
Registered
169 Posts
I've just fitted a pair of H4s by Osram (Germany), that are standard 60/55W, but Xenon-filled, about 40% brighter, yet no warmer (thus avoiding damage to plastic reflectors and polycarbonate lenses). I paid NZ$38 (approx Sterling 10).

Installing higher wattage lamps risks overheating of wiring, relay and headlamp assembly, and should not be necessary with the brighter bulbs.

Cheers

1 - 14 of 14 Posts