Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
Saab 1.8 petrol est 2007
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
A little while ago I had a headlight bulb die, so I bought a new pair. Replaced the failed one, no problem, then decided to swap out the other one anyway. I took the bulb out ok (passenger side, with the battery a bit in the way) but cannot for the life of me get the new bulb in. Looking at both headlights, one has a metal ring thing, the other just has two glass lugs. (I know about the ex
tra piece of metal that fits to the bulb itself) so I am wondering if there should be a piece of metal fixed directly to the headlamp that side (as per the bulb I changed ok) or if it is supposed to be different. Or if the metal came out and got lost (maybe by a previous owner. Or.... something?!
I just cant figure this out. It is difficult to see well on the battery side which makes matters worse but I took photos of both sides and they are just totally different. Now I can't drive the car at night!

Here is the problem one...
Wheel Tire Automotive lighting Automotive tire Tread

And here is the good side...
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood Rim Automotive wheel system

They don't seem even a bit similar!

· Registered
45 Posts
I replaced the headlamp assemblies in my 2004 9-3 a couple of years ago. The original ones had a flimsy plastic ring (easily broken) that was supposed to hold the bulb in. The new ones look like your second picture, with a much sturdier metal piece to hold in the bulb and clip into those two metal ears. I upgraded to LED lamps, and the metal rings would not fit on the LED bulbs, so I ended up hooking plastic zip-ties in an X pattern around the two metal ears and over the bulb. Could you do something similar?

John Francis
Rolla, MO

· Registered
Saab 1.8 petrol est 2007
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I replaced the headlamp assemblies in my 2004 9-3 a couple of years ago. The original ones had a flimsy plastic ring (easily broken) that was supposed to hold the bulb in. The new ones look like your second picture, with a much sturdier metal piece to hold in the bulb and clip into those two metal ears. I upgraded to LED lamps, and the metal rings would not fit on the LED bulbs, so I ended up hooking plastic zip-ties in an X pattern around the two metal ears and over the bulb. Could you do something similar?

John Francis
Rolla, MO
Hi John and thanks for the reply - I'm getting nowhere thus far! The small metal rings that fit onto the bulb holder are ok both sides as I was just using standard bulbs, but what you say about the flimsy plastic ring is interesting. I wonder if one headlamp was changed at some point and one is older than the other, (not sure if the 2004 are same,) and a flimsy plastic bit came off while I attempted the bulb swap - I couldn't find any bits around but it's possible. I'm thinking to contact the main dealer. The pictures are so dissimilar aren't they? Doesn't look anything like the two lights could ever be a pair.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts