Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Morning,

One of my headlamp wipers is not 'parking properly' - not the end of the world but it does look rather naff with one wiper pointing to the sky and the other behaving itself.

Is this an easy problem to fix ?

Any help much appreciated ( 1996 9000 cse lpt )

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Bill J has a procedure here..

This describes how to remove the motor, and how to disassemble/service it.

If you do decide pick it apart, I think sometimes they are serviceable, but it depends what the problem is.

Worth a try IMO, since I think new ones are pricey. Failing that, off to the scrappy

·
Registered
128 Posts
This was just another of the jobs I had to do to mine....

It's relatively easy, but requires a fair amount of disassembly to get the headlamp out... the grille and indicator pod both have to come out..

Once you're this far it's mostly plain sailing - what I found hardest was being bold enough to crack open the motor housing - you'll break a few if not all of the plastic tangs getting the thing apart but don;t worry too much about it cos a couple of decent cable ties will do a good job of holding it all together again.

My problem seemed to be lubricant - the motor had gobs of grease over the reciprocating mechanism that drives the arm, but it had mostly been displaced over the years. You'll probably find that the drive-link from the reciprocating link has popped out... fiddly to re-align but still relatively easy to fix. So I ended up giving everything a very generous squirt of WD40 just to wash a little more lube around the motor core then re-greased the gears and re-assembled the unit. I'd broken all but 3 of the tangs but as I mentioned, but carefully placed cable ties have held it all nicely tight for me.
You have to be careful to run the motor through a few cycles to allow it to centre under no-load conditions, then offer it upto the mounting plate to make sure you know where the arm has to go. I got it wrong the first time and the motor stalled trying to push the arm past the wiper stop. Take a moment to look at it though and it'll all become clear.

It's not a tough job (I managed it after all!) and it might be a simpler fix than you expect.

Best of LucK!!

Greg

duuuh... I forgot to mention...

While you've got the lamp out, take a minute to unclip the lens and give it a good clean on the inside (The lens that is, NOT the reflector!!), as well as making sure the drive/adjustment mechanisms are all clean and functioning. This is a well spent extra five minutes!!

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
Originally posted by Acathla:
[qb]Hopefully these tricks will work for me too[/qb][/b]
As a last resort, get one from a breaker. Then bring it with you when we meet on the 9th and I'll help you fit it. Half an hour at the outside, probably a lot less...

If that one doesn't last, you have the old one to play with to see if you can revive it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.