Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This has been a bit topical due to benefit of h/L wipers at this time of year... anyway..:

I removed (quite easy job) R/H Headlight and wiper motor unit last weekend.

Using long/thin electrical screwdrivers (x2) and long nosed pliers, plastic lugs could be disassembled quite easily without significant damage, in order to split the two halves.

Apart from a lack of grease on the top rotor arm, there was no apparent fault with the unit. The internal spring clip make/brake contact arm was fine - with no evident lack of tension.

Unless the (amazingly!) small electric motor had burnt out, (prior to which it was intermittent - stopping wiper at all sorts of angles on H/lamp), I could not find anything wrong with the unit.

Unit still failed to work after a clean up and regrease.

Does anyone have any suggestions/clues?

I will ohm out connections with multi-meter when I get a moment.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
This is what I found too. The motor would run when removed from the unit, but without enough power to do much when in the unit. Basically the motor was on its last legs (brushes). New motors cured it.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Mark/Paul.

Can you recommend a source for replacement brushes? (Maplin?)

The motor is evidently connected to fairly rigid two copper feed wires/bars (located at bottom of the housing). How does the motor disconnect from these?

Forwarned is fore-armed

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
Originally posted by Paul D:
[qb]The motor is evidently connected to fairly rigid two copper feed wires/bars (located at bottom of the housing).  How does the motor disconnect from these?[/qb][/b]
The motor terminals are simply a push-fit into the bars.

I'm not aware that there are replacement brushes available - the motors are not actually designed to be serviceable. The source I listed on saab9000.com for replacement motors had a lead time of about 3 months when I last ordered. Cost was between £10 and £15 each, I think.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Great stuff... thanks again Bill/Mark!

Will check out how much of the brushes are left before ordering a motor, etc.

I have a duff spare unit, so 3 month lead time should be bearable.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
And a special thanks to Bill for your hard work and publication of the detailed repair procedure.

As Mark advised, it's all detailed on BillJ's site.. check link above.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.